Dartmouth Defeats Brown 2-1 in Overtime

Dartmouth Defeats Brown 2-1 in Overtime

Hanover, N.H. - The No. 11 Brown University men's soccer team was defeated by Dartmouth in overtime, 2-1, Friday evening at Burnham Field on a disputed goal as time expired at the end of the first overtime period. The Big Green (9-7-0, 5-2 Ivy) handed the Bears their second loss of the year, to drop Brown to 12-2-3 and 4-1-2 in league standings.

The Bears gained a 1-0 edge over the Big Green just 20 minutes into the game. Senior midfielder Thomas McNamara (West Nyack, NY) took a Brown corner kick at the 20:47 mark and laid it perfectly into the middle of the box. Senior defender Eric Robertson (San Antonio, TX) out-jumped his defender and headed the ball into the high left corner of the net to give Bruno the lead.

Dartmouth evened the score in the 43rd minute when sophomore Eric Jayne pushed the ball up the field and up to junior Andoni Georgiou. Georgiou accepted the pass at the top of the penalty box, turned and booted a low shot to the right of a diving Sam Kernan-Schloss (Arlington, VA) to tally his fourth goal of the year.

Both squads battled throughout the second half, and each had multiple scoring opportunities. The defense and goalkeepers for both teams turned away many attempts and kept the game scoreless in the second period to send the game into overtime.

Dartmouth outshot Brown 6-2 in the overtime period and earned the victory on a 'buzzer beating' goal scored by Colin Skelly. In the final seconds of the period, the Bears tried to clear the ball out of the box, but Dartmouth was able to block repeated attempts. As the ball ricocheted around it landed at the feet of Skelly who struck it towards the goal and past Kernan-Schloss just as time expired. As the buzzer sounded, the TV replay showd that the ball had not yet crossed the goal line; however, the referees counted the goal as good, giving Dartmouth the 2-1 victory.

Dartmouth ended the night with a 14-13 advantage in shots, but Brown led 10-9 in corner kicks. Kernan-Schloss picked up four saves tonight, while Big Green keeper Noah Cohen earned two.

The Bears will now wait for the Division I Men's Soccer Selection Show on NCAA.com on Monday, Nov. 12, at 5:30 p.m. to see if they will receive an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.