Coleman Nets Game Winner to Push No. 13 Bears Past No. 22 Red Storm

Coleman Nets Game Winner to Push No. 13 Bears Past No. 22 Red Storm

Check out post-game interview with David Walls!

Providence, RI- The No. 13-nationally ranked Brown University men's soccer team earned its first-ever win against No. 22 St. John's on Tuesday night at Stevenson Field. Junior midfielder Evan Coleman (Amherst, MA) earned his first goal of the season, a game-winner, just 2:10 into the game to push the Bears past the Red Storm with a 1-0 victory. The Bears improve to 7-0-2 on the year, while the Red Storm dropped to 6-4-0. 

The Bears played a phenomenal game tonight as the offense fired off 19 shots, six on goal, and the defense kept a feisty St. John's offense off the scoreboard. The Red Storm tallied 17 shots throughout the game, seven of which were on goal, but senior goalkeeper Paul Grandstrand (Orono, MN), who leads the nation in goals against average (0.11) and save percentage (.971), made a season-high seven saves to help lead the Bears' defensive unit to victory.

Coleman registered the lone goal from nearly 17 yards out and got to the ball after it was batted around by a couple of players.  He came up on the right side of the field and drove one in nearside to put the Bears ahead early, 1-0.

St. John's freshman forward Dom Sarle got off his team's first shot of the game 9:38 into the first half, but Grandstrand was there with the first save of the match. Both squads went back and forth firing off shots, but sophomore midfielder Thomas McNamara (West Nyack, NY) had a great look at the 22:33 mark that was picked up by St. John's freshman keeper Rafael Diaz. The Bears outshot the Red Storm 10-9 in the first half, while both goalkeepers earned two saves.

Bruno started off strong in the second half as leading scorer Sean Rosa (Montreal, Quebec) blasted one toward the net just five minutes into the period, but Diaz was there with the save. The Bears continued to attack and took control as the squad took five unanswered shots in the next 12 minutes. However, the Red Storm weren't going to go down without a fight.

St. John's seemed to then take control of the game midway through the second half and really pick up the intensity. But the Bears backline of Dylan Remick (Inverness, IL), Ryan McDuff (Plano, TX) David Walls (Leeds, England) and Eric Robertson (San Antonio, TX) remained tough and continued to shut down the Red Storm.

At the 70:23 mark, senior midfielder Tadeu Terra blasted a shot from just inside the penalty box, but a diving Grandstrand kept it out of the goal. Then, just eight minutes later the Red Storm had another great look at the goal, but Grandstrand knocked it high and out of bounds. Junior forward T.J. Popolizio took Brown's final shot on goal just two minutes before time ran out, but Diaz earned his fifth and final save of the game.

The Bears earned their fifth consecutive win of the 2010 season tonight, as Grandstrand earned his fourth consecutive, and eighth overall, shutout.

The Bears are back in action when it takes on Princeton at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 9, and will then be back at home to host Harvard at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 16.