Kniffin Scores Four Goals As Brown Beats Bryant, 14-12, For Ocean State Cup

Ocean State Cup Champions
Ocean State Cup Champions

Smithfield, R.I. – Freshman attackman Jack Kniffin (Darien, CT) scored four goals, including two in an 8-1 run, to lift Brown to a 14-12 non-league win over Bryant to capture the Ocean State Cup at the Bulldogs' Conaty Indoor Athletic Center.


The Bears improve to 8-5 with the win, while Bryant falls to 8-7.


Kniffin's four goals led 10 different Brown goal scorers. Bears' freshman Luke McCaleb (Chevy Chase, MD) scored two goals and handed out an assist.


Brown freshman goalie Phil Goss (San Francisco, CA), the nation's leader in saves, registered 12 saves at the indoor facility.


With the Ivy League Tournament pairings finalized, the Bears rested Tewaaraton Award winner Dylan Molloy '17 in their final non-league game of the season.


The Bulldogs were led by Cam Ziegler with four goals and James Tucker, who netted two goals.


Brown built an early 3-1 lead on goals by McCaleb, senior Matt Graham (Amityville, NY) and Kniffin with 8:08 left in the opening quarter. Bryant's Tom Kennedy scored with 3:18 left in the quarter to pull the Bulldogs to within 3-2 after one quarter of play.


Consecutive second quarter goals by Kniffin and sophomore Brian Prigmore (Vancouver, WA) extended Brown's lead to 5-2.


After Bryant answered with back-to-back goals to trail, 5-4, Brown came back at the end of the half.  Junior Stephen Hudak (Rydal, PA) scored with 13 seconds left and Kniffin netted his third goal with just 2.5 seconds remaining to grab a 7-4 lead at intermission.


Brown took control in the third quarter, out-scoring the Bulldogs by a 6-1 margin to pull ahead, 13-5, with 13 seconds left on a goal by junior Michael Panepinto (Needham, MA).  Kniffin, sophomore Carson Song (Charlotte, NC), freshman Myles Romm (Rockville, MD), sophomore Jackson Newsome (Arlington, VA) and junior Jack Collins (Barrington, RI) also registered goals for the Bears in the streak.


Bryant came storming back, scoring the last goal of the third quarter as time expired, and the first four goals of the fourth quarter to pull to within 13-10 with 8:33 remaining on an unassisted goal by Tucker.


McCaleb scored his second goal of the game to stop the Bryant run and give Brown a 14-10 advantage with 7:56 left. Bryant made it close at the end with two late goals by Ziegler.


The Bears wrap-up their 2017 regular season on Saturday, April 29, traveling to Hanover, New Hampshire to face Dartmouth.  Face-off is 4:00 pm at Scully Fahey Field.