Freshman Brendan Caputo’s OT Goal Lifts Brown Laxers Over Dartmouth, 8-7

Freshman Brendan Caputo’s OT Goal Lifts Brown Laxers Over Dartmouth, 8-7

Hanover, New Hampshire – Freshman attackman Brendan Caputo (Westbury, NY) scored his third goal of the game with 1:19 left in the third overtime period to lift the Brown men's lacrosse team to an 8-7 Ivy League win over Dartmouth in the final regular season game for both teams. Brown finished the season by winning three of its last four games, posting an 8-6 overall record, 2-4 in the Ivy League, while Dartmouth falls to 3-11 overall, 1-5 in Ivy play.


Neither team scored in the first two overtime periods in the thrilling match-up televised live by Fox College Sports. Both teams had numerous shots on goal, but the goalie play was outstanding, with Bears' freshman goalie Jack Kelly (West Islip, NY) making five saves, including three saves in the first overtime, and Dartmouth's Bernie Susskind turning aside two shots.


Senior Alex Jones (Annapolis, MD) picked up a ground ball with two minutes left in the third overtime period and Brown called timeout with 1:52 left.  Caputo fired a shot wide with 1:20 left, but found the back of the next on an unassisted goal after 73 minutes and 41 seconds of play.


Brown rallied from a 6-3 deficit with 13:10 left in the third quarter on a bunch of goals by its freshman class.  Freshmen attackmen Henry Blynn (Villanova, PA) and Caputo each scored twice, with Caputo scoring at the 7:44 mark of the fourth quarter to give the Bears a 7-6 lead.


Dartmouth's Adam Fishman sent the game into overtime with his second goal of the game with just 4:49 left in regulation.


Both Blynn and Caputo scored three goals for the Bears, with Caputo also adding an assist.  Jones and senior long stick middy Roger Ferguson (Washington, DC) also scored for the Bears.


Kelly came up big in the Brown goal, making a career high 19 saves, including the five saves in overtime. Susskind was also solid in net for the Big Green, making 17 saves. Both goalies saw numerous shots, with the Bears out-shooting the Big Green by a 47-45 margin.