Brown Narrowly Falls To #9 Princeton, 9-6, In Ivy League Tournament Semis

Brown Narrowly Falls To #9 Princeton, 9-6, In Ivy League Tournament Semis

Princeton, New Jersey - Brown's season came to an end in the semifinals of the Ivy League Men's Lacrosse Tournament Friday evening at Class of 1952 Stadium, but not before battling ninth-ranked Princeton for 60 minutes, falling to the Tigers, 9-6.


Brown, who had won five of its previous six games, finishes the season with a 7-8 overall record, while Princeton advances to Sunday's Ivy League Championship game against Yale with an 11-3 overall mark.


"I couldn't be any prouder of this team," said Brown head coach Lars Tiffany.  "We struggled in the midseason, but captains Parker Brown and Rob Schlesinger really brought the team together and helped us improve.  This team kept fighting and never quit."


Bears' senior captain Parker Brown, playing his final collegiate game, led Brown's attack with two goals.  He finished his career as one of the leading all-time scorers at Brown with 113 points on 63 goals and 50 assists.


Sophomore goalie Will Round was impressive in goal for the Bears, making 10 saves, including several at point blank range. Princeton goalie Tyler Fiorito, the Ivy Player of the Year, made 12 saves.


The evenly played game had Princeton taking 36 shots, while the Bears launched 34 shots. Both teams had no problem clearing, with Brown successfully clearing 16 of 17 attempts, and Princeton 16 of 16 attempts.


Trailing, 1-0, Parker Brown tied the game for the Bears, 1-1, with 8:53 left in the first quarter. Mike Grossman scored at the 3:22 mark to give the Tigers the lead at the quarter, 2-1.


After Princeton grabbed a 3-1 lead early in the second quarter, the Bears answered on goals by junior Johnny DePeters, freshman Nick Piroli and sophomore Sam Hurster in the span of 70-seconds, giving Brown its first lead, 4-3.


The game of streaks continued with our straight goals by the Tigers to give Princeton a 7-4 lead at the half.


Princeton's scoring streak continued when Forest Sonnenfeldt scored with 4:49 remaining in the third quarter to give the Tigers an 8-4 advantage.


Bears' junior middy George Sherman scored on a pass from senior Rob Schlesinger with just 48 seconds left in the quarter to get the Bears back in the game, 8-5. Parker Brown netted his second goal of the game on a pass from Piroli to open the fourth quarter and pull the Bears to within 8-6 of the Tigers.


The Tigers stopped the Bears momentum with a goal by Mike McDonald with 3:36 remaining in the game to pull ahead by a 9-6 margin.



 Photo Courtesy of the Ivy League