Schlesinger & Brown Lift Bears to Thrilling 13-12 Victory over #12 Penn

Schlesinger & Brown Lift Bears to Thrilling 13-12 Victory over #12 Penn

PROVIDENCE, RI – Juniors Rob Schlesinger (Medfield, MA) and Parker Brown (San Francisco, CA) scored four goals each, while Schlesinger also added a pair of assists to help lead the Brown men's lacrosse team (4-6, 1-2) to a thrilling, 13-12, win over #12 Penn (5-4, 2-2) on Saturday afternoon at Stevenson Field. The win snaps Brown's three-game skid and also gives the Bears their first Ivy League win of the season.

Trailing, 5-2, after the first 15 minutes of action, Brown scored his second goal of the afternoon just 41 seconds into the second quarter, sparking a 4-0 run by the Bears, which was capped by a Jeffrey Foote goal at the 5:09 mark, as Brown held a 6-5 lead.

Penn halted the scoring spree temporarily just 1:02 later, but back-to-back goals by senior David Hawley (New Canaan, CT), who converted a man-up opportunity, and Schlesinger gave Brown an 8-6 lead at the half.

Penn fought back to tie the score at 8-8 with two goals in the first 31 seconds of the third quarter, but the Bears would outscore the Quakers, 4-0, for the rest of the frame to open up a 12-8 lead on Schlesinger's third of the day.

Schlesinger gave Brown its biggest lead, 13-8, when he connected off a feed by senior Teddy Daiber (Rye, NY) with 13:01 to play. However, Penn trimmed the lead to 13-9 when Al Kohart scored less than four minutes later.

With the game seemingly favoring a Bears' victory and less than five minutes to play, Penn mounted a comeback attempt, closing the lead to 13-10 on Morgan Griff's first of two goals with 4:57 left in the game. Ryan Parietti then brought the Quakers to within 13-11 1:54 later, as Brown's lead was skimmed to just two goals.

Senior Seth Ratner (Dallas, TX) won a huge faceoff following the goal, setting up a frenetic end to the game. The Bears were never able to get a shot off after the faceoff win and turned the ball over and Penn quickly cleared. After a pair of Quaker shots sailed wide of the net, sophomore Sam Ford (Reisterstown, MD) caused a turnover with 1:06 remaining and Brown was able to clear the ball into its end.

However, Penn caused another Bears' turnover, and this time Griff found the back of the net in transition, bringing the Quakers to within one goal, 13-12, with 32 seconds left.

This time, it was Penn that came up with the faceoff win, as the Quakers settled in looking for the tying goal. Senior goalie Matt Chriss (Lutherville, MD) made a huge stop on a Dan Savage shot with 13 seconds remaining, but his end-to-end clear attempt was intercepted by Penn goalie, Brian Feeney, who immediately cleared the ball to the other end, giving Penn one final chance.

After an attempt by Maxx Meyer went wide with three seconds left, Penn called a timeout to draw up its final play. The Brown defense stood strong and denied the attack, sending the Bears into celebration.

Chriss recorded six saves for the Bears, all of which came in the second half. Ford and Ratner led Brown with five ground balls each, while Ratner won 14 faceoffs for the Bears.

Brown continues action next Saturday, April 16, when it travels to New Haven, CT to face #17 Yale in a 1:00 p.m. contest.

Pictured: Bears celebrate a goal against the Quakers. Photo by