Bears Fall to Wayne State, 3-2, in Overtime in First Round Action of Subway Holiday Classic

Bears Fall to Wayne State, 3-2, in Overtime in First Round Action of Subway Holiday Classic

Dec. 27, 2003

GRAND FORKS, ND - Wayne State (5-8-2) scored the tying goal with just 24 seconds remaining in regulation to hand #12 Brown (6-3-2) a 3-2 loss on Saturday afternoon in the first of two semi-final games at North Dakota's Subway Holiday Classic at Engelstad Arena.

Playing in their first game since a 6-1 loss at Colgate on December 6th, the Bears took a 1-0 lead against the Warriors mid-way through the first period. Just after a Brown power-play had expired, the Bears kept the puck in the zone. Senior Scott Ford (Fort St. John, BC) fired a slapshot from the center of the blueline that was blocked, but the puck bounced out to freshman leading scorer Brian Ihnacak (Toronto, ONT), who was on the left face-off circle. Ihnacak grabbed the puck off of his own rebounded shot and went behind the net, where he hit senior Brent Robinson (Pointe Claire, QUE) with a pass. The assistant captain went top-shelf for his seventh goal of the season and a 1-0 Brown lead at 11:21 of the first period.

However, less than one minute later, Wayne State's Dan Iliakis found the puck on his stick after it bounced off a Brown defensemen's skate. Iliakis ripped a shot past senior Hobey Baker Candidate Yann Danis' (Saint Jerome, QUE), tying the game at 1-1 at 12:12.

With less than two minutes remaining in the first period, Brown narrowly missed taking a 2-0 lead when junior Les Haggett (Norwood, NY) nailed the pipe with a shot with 12 seconds remaining on a Brown power-play.

After a scoreless second period, Ihnacak gave Brown a 2-1 lead with a power-play goal, his seventh goal of the year, at 7:48 of the final period. Senior Vince Macri (Durham, NH) carried the puck up ice, and connected with Haggett, who was just below the left face-off circle. Haggett hit Ihnacak with a centering pass and the freshman back-handed the puck into the opposite corner for the 2-1 advantage.

Brown took a penalty with under four minutes remaining in the game and successfully killed the Wayne State power-play. The Warriors pulled goalie Matt Kelly with 1:00 remaining in regulation and Wayne State tied the contest with just 24 seconds left in the game, forcing overtime. The Warriors won just 1:40 into the overtime contest, as Brown lost its second game in a row.

Danis stopped 20 shots for the Bears. Brown take on the loser of the Findlay/#1 North Dakota game tomorrow after noon at 1:00 p.m. central standard time.

WAYNE STATE 1 0 1 1 - 3
BROWN 1 0 1 0 - 2

First period - BR, Brent Robinson (Brian Ihnacak), 11:21;
WS, Dan Iliakis (unassisted), 12:12.
Penalties - WS, 2-4; BR, 1-2.

Second period - No Scoring. Penalties - WS, 1-2; BR, 3-6.

Third period - BR (PPG), Brian Ihnacak (Les Haggett, Vince Macri), 7:48;
WS (6x5), Travis Rycroft (Taylor Donohoe, John Grubb), 19:36.
Penalties - WS, 1-2; BR, 1-2.

Overtime - WS, Mark Nebus (Jason Baclig, Nate Higgins), 1:40.
Penalties - WS, 0-0; BR, 0-0.

WS, Matt Kelly, 8-9-6-0 - 23 (61:04);
BR, Yann Danis, 7-4-8-1 - 20 (61:40).

Records - WS, 5-8-2; BR, 6-3-2.

WS, 0-5; BR, 1-4.