#12 Men's Ice Hockey Settles for 3-3 Overtime Tie with Cornell

#12 Men's Ice Hockey Settles for 3-3 Overtime Tie with Cornell

Dec. 5, 2003

ITHACA, NY - Brown (6-1-2, 6-1-1) held onto a 3-1 lead going into the third period, but Cornell (3-2-5, 3-0-2) scored two unanswered power-play goals, as the two teams battled to a 3-3 overtime tie Friday evening in an ECAC and Ivy League contest at Lynah Rink.

As the Bears have done in their recent games, they took a 1-0 lead in the opening minutes of the game, scoring their first goal in Lynah Rink since 1999. Senior Vince Macri (Durham, NH) notched his second goal of the season, on the power-play, just 2:18 into the game to give Brown a 1-0 lead. Freshman leading scorer Brian Ihnacak (Toronto, ONT) and junior Les Haggett (Norwood, NY), who lead the league in power-play points, each tallied an assist on the goal.

With Brown killing their third penalty of the first period, junior Chris Swon (Mendham, NJ) intercepted a Cornell pass at center-ice. He beat two Cornell defenders and skate coast-to-coast taking the Big Red's David McKee one-on-one. He gave Brown a 2-0 lead at 13:13 of the first period with an unassisted short-handed goal.

However, less than one minute later, at 14:12, just as the Cornell power-play had expired, the Big Red came to within one, sneaking the puck into the back of the net to senior Hobey Baker Candidate Yann Danis' (Saint Jerome, QUE) stick-side.

After heavy Cornell pressure early in the second period, the Bears grabbed a 3-1 lead on their fourth power-play opportunity of the night. Senior Brent Robinson (Pointe Claire, QUE) poked the puck through the legs of McKee at 13:21 of the second period for the two-goal Brown advantage. Ihnacak and senior Scott Ford (Fort St. John, BC) each assisted on the goal.

The two teams started the third period skating four players each for the first 24 seconds. Just a second after the Big Red began a power-play, Cam Abbott took a hard slap shot from the left point that Danis saved. However, the puck bounced high into the air and fell behind Danis as Cornell came to within one goal just 25 seconds into the final period. With 4:40 remaining in the game, a Cornell shot from the blueline apparently hit the post, but after the goal-judge turned the goal-light on, the goal was allowed, as the Big Red tied the contest at 3-3 with their second power-play goal of the night, forcing overtime.

For the game, Danis stopped 35 shots in net, including 14 in the third period. Brown continues action tomorrow, when it faces Colgate in an ECAC contest at 7:00 p.m. in Hamilton, NY. It is the Bears' final game of the semester, before taking a three-week exam break.

BROWN 2 1 0 0 - 3
CORNELL 1 0 2 0 - 3

First period - B (PPG), Vince Macri (Brian Ihnacak, Les Haggett), 2:18;
B (SHG), Chris Swon (unassisted), 13:13;
C, Shane Hynes (Ryan Vesce, Mike Knoepfli), 14:12.
Penalties - B, 3-6; C, 1-2.

Second period - B (PPG), Brent Robinson (Brian Ihnacak, Scott Ford), 13:21.
Penalties - B, 2-4; C, 4-8.

Third period - C (PPG), Cam Abbott (Chris Abbott, Ben Wallace), 0:25;
C (PPG), Matt Moulson (Mike Knoepfli, Charlie Cook), 15:20.
Penalties - B, 6-12; C, 5-10.

Overtime - No Scoring. Penalties - B, 0-0; C, 1-2.

BR, Yann Danis, 11-6-14-4 - 35 (65:00);
C, David McKee, 6-4-3-1 - 14 (65:00).

Records - BR, 6-1-2 (6-1-1); C, 3-2-5 (3-0-2)

BR, 2-7; C, 2-7.

Attendance - 3,836 (Lynah Rink).