Men's Ice Hockey Falls To Dartmouth, 6-3

Men's Ice Hockey Falls To Dartmouth, 6-3

Nov. 9, 2001

HANOVER, NH - Senior Mike Maturo scored three goals to lead Dartmouth (1-1-0, 1-1-0) to a 6-3 victory over visiting Brown (1-1-0, 1-1-0) in an ECAC men's ice hockey contest on Friday evening.

After nearly 15 minutes of scoreless action, Brown took a 1-0 lead when sophomore Adam Saunders (Moose Jaw, SASK) took a pass from classmate Brent Robinson (Pointe Claire, QUE) and fired it past Dartmouth's Nick Boucher. The power play goal, Brown's first extra-man tally of the season, came at 14:09 of the first and junior Paul Esdale (Edmonton, ALB) also earned an assist on the play.

However, less than two minutes later, Dartmouth had a man-advantage Maturo got the puck past senior Brian Eklund (Braintree, MA) to tie the contest at 1-1 with 3:56 left before the first intermission.

Less than two minutes into the second period, the Big Green took a 2-1 lead when freshman Lee Stempniak scored his first career goal from the right circle. Dartmouth tallied its third goal of the night with 9:26 remaining in the second period with a scramble in front of the Brown net. The goal, which came at 10:34 of the second, was scored by junior defenseman Pete Summerfelt

Juniors Keith Kirley (Leverett, MA) and Assistant Captain Tye Korbl (Goffstown, NH) connected for the second time is as many games to bring Brown to within one at 13:36 of the third. Korbl found Kirley in front of a wide open Dartmouth net and Kirley tapped the puck just over the goal line for his first goal of the 2001-2002 season.

The Big Green however added another before the end of the second, when senior Chris Taliercio beat Eklund, to give Dartmouth a 4-2 lead heading into the final stanza.

Robinson scored his first goal of the season with 4:50 left in the game to go along with an assist and to bring Brown to within one. However, Maturo responded for the Big Green just two minutes later with a power play score, their second power play goal of the night and he added an empty net goal with just 51 seconds remaining to complete the hat trick.

For the game, Eklund stopped 20 shots between the pipes for Brown.

The Bears continue action Saturday, November 10, when they travel to Vermont a 7:00 p.m. contest.