#11 Cornell Outlasts Brown, 3-2, in ECAC Hockey League Opener

#11 Cornell Outlasts Brown, 3-2, in ECAC Hockey League Opener

Nov. 3, 2006

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - Sophomore Matt Vokes (Auburn, MA) scored a power-play goal to tie the game at 2-2 just 2:22 into the third period, but Evan Barlow answered for the Big Red just 23 second later to lift #11 Cornell (3-0-0, 1-0-0) to a 3-2 victory over Brown (0-1-1, 0-1-0) in the 2006 ECAC Hockey League opener for both squads.

In a game that had 33 penalties between the two squads for a total of 99 minutes, the Bears' had the better of the special teams play, going 2-11 on the power play and 12-13 on the penalty kill, including killing off two separate 5:00 Cornell power plays.

It was Brown that struck first, just 6:20 into the game when junior Chris Poli (Medfield, MA) scored on a man advantage for the Bears. After Cornell attempted to clear the puck, junior Sean Hurley (Rutland, VT) did a nice job at the right point to keep the puck in the zone, and immediately fed sophomore Eric Slais (Fenton, MO) in the left corner. Slais settled the puck and fed Poli in the slot, where he one-timed the puck past Troy Davenport for the early lead.

Just 1:47 after the goal, Brown was forced to kill a five-minute major, and the penalty killing unit was up to the task, blocking shot-after-shot and constantly clearing the zone to head into the second period leading, 1-0.

The Big Red struck just 4:52 into the second period when Evan Barlow tipped Doug Krantz's shot from the left point to tie the game at 1-1. Just six minutes later, at 10:49, a Raymond Sawada power-play goal gave Cornell a 2-1 lead heading into the final 20 minutes of action.

Vokes wasted little time in knotting the game, scoring off a centering feed from junior Brian McNary (Edmonton, ALB) on a play that started with a feed from junior David Robertson (Saunderstown, RI).

However, Cornell stopped any momentum the Bears had gained from tying the game when Barlow notched his second goal of the night off a rebound from Krantz just 23 seconds later.

Brown continued to press for the equalizer, and had two late chances, but the Big Red defense was able to prevent the tying goal and escape from Meehan with a victory.

In net for Brown, sophomore Mark Sibbald (Ridgeway, ONT) recorded 25 saves. The Bears return to action tomorrow evening at when they host Colgate, which dropped its ECACHL opener at Yale, 2-1. The puck drops at 7:00 p.m.