Bears Tie Union, 2-2, in 2007 ECAC Hockey Opener

Bears Tie Union, 2-2, in 2007 ECAC Hockey Opener

Nov. 2, 2007

Box Score

SCHENECTADY, NY - Senior Paul Baier (North Kingstown, RI) and sophomore Sean McMonagle (Oakville, ONT) each scored as the Brown men's ice hockey team (0-1-1, 0-0-1) opened its 2007 ECAC Hockey season with a 2-2 tie with Union (2-2-1, 0-0-1) on Friday evening at Messa Rink.

The Dutchmen were all over Brown during the opening 10 minutes of the game, peppering sophomore Dan Rosen (Syosset, NY) with 10 shots during that time. At 7:29, Union capitalized on its first power-play chance of the night when Mario Valery-Trabucco slipped the puck past Rosen, hitting the top right corner of the net with a low-angle shot from the left side of the crease.

The Dutchmen nearly made it 2-0 when Jason Walters fired back-to-back shots from close-range, but Rosen made two spectacular saves to hold the score at 1-0.

Three minutes later, Brown got its first power-play chance of the night and Baier evened the score at 1-1 with his first goal of the season, and first since scoring against Colgate last November, with just one second left on the man-advantage. Sophomore Devin Timberlake (Port Alberni, BC) and junior Matt Vokes (Auburn, MA) each assisted on the goal, which found the upper left corner of the net.

Brown had another chance late in the period on a short-handed two-on-one with senior Jeff Prough (Farmington Hills, MI) and sophomore Aaron Volpatti (Revelstoke, BC), but Justin Mrazek stopped Volpatti's shot to keep the score tied at one after the first 20 minutes.

The Bears grabbed a 2-1 lead just 41 seconds into the second stanza, chasing Mrazek from the game in favor of Corey Milan. McMonagle controlled a face-off in Brown's zone and the puck squirted out to Prough, who dished the puck back to McMonagle along the left wing. McMonagle's shot from the bottom of the left face-off circle eluded Mrazek's glove and found the back of the net, giving Brown a 2-1 lead.

Union tied the game at two at 13:22 when Luke Cain, alone in the slot, capitalized on a Brown defensive turnover, and fired the puck over Rosen's right shoulder.

Both teams had two power-play chances in the third period, with Union going on the man-advantage with less than four minutes remaining. However, neither team could net the go-ahead goal as the teams headed for overtime.

Brown outshot Union, 3-2, in the overtime, but both Milan and Rosen were flawless in the five-minute period as the two teams opened league play with a 2-2 draw.

Rosen finished with 33 saves, while Mrazek posted four saves in 20:41, before giving way to Milan, who made 12 saves in 44:19. Brown continues action tomorrow evening when it travels to Troy, NY to face RPI at 7:00 p.m.

BROWN 1 1 0 0 - 2
UNION 1 1 0 0 - 2

First period - U, Mario Valery-Trabucco (Mike Schreiber, Luke Cain), PP, 7:29; B, Paul Baier (Matt Vokes, Devin Timberlake), PP, 13:00. Penalties - B, 3-6; U, 1-2.
Second period - B, Sean McMonagle (Jeff Prough, Eric Slais), 0:41; U, Luke Cain (unassisted), 13:22. Penalties - B, 2-4; U, 3-6.
Third Period - No Scoring. Penalties - B, 2-4; U, 2-4.
Overtime - No Scoring. Penalties - B, 0-0; U, 1-2.

B, Dan Rosen (65:00), 12-6-13-2 - 33; U, Justin Mrazek (20:41), 4-0-x-x - 4; U, Corey Milan (44:19), x-1-8-3 - 12.

Attendance: 1397