Three Different Bears Score in 3-3 Tie with Merrimack

Three Different Bears Score in 3-3 Tie with Merrimack

Oct. 28, 2006

Box Score

NORTH ANDOVER, MA - Sophomore Matt Vokes (Auburn, MA) and senior Antonin Roux (Danville, QUE) scored just 1:48 apart in the first three minutes of the third period to lift the Brown men's ice hockey team (0-0-1) to a come-from-behind 3-3 tie with Merrimack (1-4-1) in the Bears' 82nd season opener.

After dominating the opening 20 minutes of play, with a 14-8 advantage in shots, the Bears found themselves in a 1-0 hole at the end of the first period. With Merrimack on the power-play, Hank Carisio took advantage of a loose puck and fired it into an open net with sophomore goalie Mark Sibbald (Ridgeway, ONT) out of position.

Brown had the better of the scoring opportunities in the period, but Merrimack goalie Jim Healey stopped all 14 shots he faced to keep Brown off the board. Junior Jeff Prough (Farmington Hills, MI) nearly scored on the power-play in the 14th minute of play and then freshman Devin Timberlake's (Port ALberni, BC) short-handed bid with 4:05 left in the period was blocked by a Merrimack defenseman.

Junior Chris Poli (Medfield, MA) tied the game at 1-1 just 5:46 into the second period with his first goal of the year. With Brown skating on the man-advantage, junior Paul Baier (North Kingstown, RI) carried the puck into the zone and fed sophomore Eric Slais (Fenton, MO). Slais fired a shot on net, and the rebound popped out into the slot, where Poli banked his shot off the right post and into the back of the net.

Merrimack scored back-to-back power-play goals just 1:28 apart to grab a 3-1 lead at 12:36 of the second period. J.C. Robitaille scored the first into an open net, and Matt Byrnes tallied the second, poking the puck in over the goal-line and behind Sibbald.

Brown got one back just 30 seconds into the third period when Vokes tallied on the power-play. Freshman Jeremy Russell (St. Albert, ALB) earned his first collegiate point with an assist on the goal. Less than two minutes later, at 2:18, Roux knotted the game at 3-3 with the first even-strength goal of the contest. Senior Sean Dersch (Edmonton, ALB) won the face-off to Healey's right and Roux's shot from the bottom of the face-off circle beat Healey five-hole to tie the game at 3-3.

Brown, which played a school-record 13 overtime contests last season, couldn't net the game-winner, as it opened the year with a 3-3 tie. Sibbald finished with 18 saves, while Healey made 34 stops for Merrimack. Brown returns home to host Cornell and Colgate in a pair of ECAC Hockey League games next weekend at Meehan Auditorium. The puck drops at 7:00 p.m. both Friday and Saturday.

BROWN 0 1 2 0 - 3
MERRIMACK 1 2 0 0 - 3

First period - M, PP, Hank Carisio (David Burkholder, Brandon Sadlowski), 18:58. Penalties - B, 3-6; M, 5-10.
Second period - B, PP, Chris Poli (Eric Slais, Paul Baier), 5:46; M, PP, J.C. Robitaille (Joe Loprieno, Mike Alexiou), 11:08; M, PP, Matt Byrnes (J.C. Robitaille, Ryan Sullivan), 12:36. Penalties - B, 5-10; M, 5-10.
Third Period - B, PP, Matt Vokes (Jeremy Russell), 0:30; B, Antonin Roux (Sean Muncy, Sean Dersch), 2:18. Penalties - B, 2-4; M, 4-8.
Overtime - No Scoring. Penalties - B, 1-2; M, 1-2.

B, Mark Sibbald (65:00), 7-3-6-2 - 18; M, Jim Healey (65:00), 14-10-9-1 - 34.