Prough's Goal with 6:31 Remaining Lifts Bears to 3-2 Win, Forcing Deciding Game

Prough's Goal with 6:31 Remaining Lifts Bears to 3-2 Win, Forcing Deciding Game

March 4, 2006

CANTON, NY - Sophomore leading scorer Jeff Prough (Farmington Hills, MI) netted the game-winning goal with 6:31 left in regulation to break a 2-2 tie and lift the Brown men's ice hockey team (5-19-7, 3-14-5) to a 3-2 win over St. Lawrence (19-15-2, 12-9-1) in game two of the ECAC Hockey League First Round. The win forces a deciding third game slated for tomorrow evening at 7:00 in the best-of-three series. The victory is also Brown's first road win of the season.

Brown freshman Ryan Garbutt (Winnipeg, MAN) was whistled for a tripping penalty just 1:27 into the game, but the Bears' penalty-kill held on to keep St. Lawrence off the board. Just eight seconds after Garbutt had returned to the ice, sophomore Seth Seidman (Milton, MA) gave Brown a 1-0 lead, scoring on the Bears' first shot of the game. Junior Sean Dersch (Edmonton, ALB) fed an unmarked Seidman in the slot, and he one-timed the puck top-shelf for his second goal of the year at 3:35.

Less than two minutes later, at 5:08, Dersch gave Brown a 2-0 lead, scoring his second goal of the weekend. Dersch's goal was nearly identical to Seidman's, as he back-handed the puck top-shelf off a feed from sophomore Chris Poli (Medfield, MA).

St. Lawrence dominated the rest of the period, outshooting Brown 15-6 for the period. Just 1:12 before the first intermission, senior Paul Crosty (Edmonton, ALB) was whistled for a 5:00 major and a game misconduct, giving the Saints a 5:00 advantage, which carried 3:48 over into the second period.

Jared Ross brought the Saints to within one, 2-1, on that power-play, scoring with 1:39 left on the man-advantage, just 2:10 into the second period. St. Lawrence tied the game at 2-2 when Ross netted his second of the night off a face-off to sophomore Adam D'Alba's (Glencoe, IL) left. Ross' shot was high and D'Alba got a glove on it, but couldn't hold onto it and the puck bounced over D'Alba's head and trickled into the back of the net with 1:10 left before the second intermission.

Prough gave Brown a 3-2 lead at 13:29 of the third, scoring his 16th of the year with the Bears on their sixth power-play of the night. Poli fired a shot from the right point that went wide left, but Prough was on the doorstep to knock the puck into the back of the net. St. Lawrence pulled goaltender Justin Pesony with 1:29 left in the game, and the Bears were able to seal the win, when junior Antonin Roux (Danville, QUE) won the final face-off in Brown's defensive zone with 2.4 seconds left after a Brown icing.

D'Alba finished with a career-high 54 saves, pitching an 18-save third period shutout, while Pesony made 10 stops for St. Lawrence. The Bears and the Saints meet again tomorrow night in the third and decisive game. The puck drops at 7:00 p.m.

BROWN 2 0 1 x - 3
ST. LAWRENCE 0 2 0 x - 2

First period - B, Seth Seidman (Sean Dersch), 3:35; B, Sean Dersch (Chris Poli, Brian McNary), 5:08. Penalties - B, 5-21; S, 2-4.

Second period - S, Jared Ross (Kyle Rank), 2:10; S, Jared Ross (Adam Hogg), 18:50. Penalties - B, 1-2; S, 4-8.

Third period - B, Jeff Prough (Chris Poli, Brian McNary), 13:29, PP. Penalties - B, 1-2; S, 1-2.

B, Adam D'Alba (40:00), 15-21-18-x - 54; S, Justin Pesony (40:00), 4-4-2-x - 10.