Bears Close out Regular Season with 3-1 Win at Union

Bears Close out Regular Season with 3-1 Win at Union

Feb. 24, 2007

Box Score

SCHENECTADY, NY - Junior David Robertson (Saunderstown, RI) scored what would prove to be the game-winning goal midway through the second period and also assisted Bears' first goal to help lead the Brown men's ice hockey team (10-13-6, 6-12-4) to a 3-1 victory over Union (14-17-3, 7-14-1) in an ECACHL game on Saturday evening at Messa Rink.

The two teams played an even first period with each team netting a power-play goal. The Bears dominated the first eight minutes of play, outshooting Union, 8-1 during that time. At one point the Bears' shot advantage was 8-0, just 5:52 into the game.

But it only took four shots to break through Justin Mrazek, as junior Brian McNary (Edmonton, ALB) scored at 2:39 with Brown skating a two-man advantage. Junior Jeff Prough (Farmington Hills, MI) sent the puck up to Robertson at the blueline and he hit McNary at the bottom of the left face-off circle with a perfect pass. McNary settled it and fired the puck top-shelf, extending his point-scoring streak to seven games.

Union finally registered a shot at 7:02 of the period, but it never found the net as junior Sean Hurley (Rutland, VT) was able to block it. Less than a minute later, at 7:47, the Dutchmen took their first shot on goal, which sophomore Mark Sibbald (Ridgeway, ONT) saved.

Union outshot Brown 8-5 the rest of the way and evened the score at 10:41 of the first when Sibbald saved Jason Walters' shot with his left shoulder, but the puck bounced over him and into the corner of the net.

Brown grabbed a 2-1 lead just 46 seconds into the second period when Robertson picked up sophomore Sean Muncy's (Chesterfield, MO) rebound and knocked the puck into the open net. Senior Sean Dersch (Edmonton, ALB) picked up a point for the third straight game since coming back from an injury with an assist on the goal.

Both teams had ample scoring opportunities in the third period, but the score remained 2-1 in favor of Brown through 18:05, at which time Union pulled Mrazek for the extra attacker.

After Muncy nearly scored the empty-net goal, the Dutchmen collected the puck deep in their zone. A Union defender passed the puck out of the zone, but freshman Devin Timberlake (Port Alberni, BC) intercepted the pass and fired the puck into the empty net for a 3-1 final.

Sibbald picked up his second win of the season with 29 saves, while Mrazek posted 31 saves for the Dutchmen. Brown, which finishes the regular season in 11th place, will travel to Princeton next weekend for the best-of-three first round series.

BROWN 1 1 1 x - 3
UNION 1 0 0 x - 1

First period - B, Brian McNary (David Robertson, Jeff Prough), PP, 2:39; U, Jason Walters (Lane Caffaro, Josh Coyle), PP, 10:41. Penalties - B, 3-6; U, 2-4.
Second period - B, David Robertson (Sean Muncy, Sean Dersch), 0:46. Penalties - B, 3-6; U, 5-21.
Third Period - B, Devin Timberlake (unassisted), EN, 18:24. Penalties - B, 2-4; U, 4-19.

B, Mark Sibbald (59:44), 8-13-8-x - 29; U, Justin Mrazek (58:44), 12-10-9-x - 31.