Harvard Edges Bears, 2-1

Harvard Edges Bears, 2-1

Feb. 23, 2008

Box Score

CAMBRIDGE, MA - Jimmy Fraser broke a 1-1 tie just 50 seconds into the third period to lift the Harvard men's hockey team (13-11-3, 11-7-2) to a 2-1 victory over the Bears (5-18-4, 5-12-3) in ECAC Hockey and Ivy League action Saturday evening at Bright Arena.

The two teams played a relatively even first period, with Brown holding a slight, 10-9, advantage in shots. At one point towards the middle third of the period, the Bears got caught in a long shift and the Crimson capitalized, taking a 1-0 lead when Matt McCollem knocked in the rebound of a shot by Mike Taylor at 6:51.

The Bears tied the game at 1-1 with a power play goal at 18:15, as the two teams headed into the first intermission knotted at one. Junior Ryan Garbutt (Winnipeg, MAN), who had four points in last night's win over Dartmouth, crossed the puck from deep in the corner up to senior Sean Hurley (Rutland, VT) at the left point. Hurley fired a shot just to the left of the net, where senior Jeff Prough (Farmington Hills, MI) was waiting to redirect the puck into the far corner for his second goal in as many games.

Brown took back-to-back penalties during the first 6:20 of the second period. The first resulted in Harvard's first power play, which the Bears successfully killed. The second one, just 2:46 after the first had expired, resulted in a penalty shot for Fraser, after he was taken down by junior Eric Slais (Fenton, MO) on a break-away. Fraser skated in on sophomore Dan Rosen (Syosset, NY) from the left, skated across the crease, and fired a low shot, which Rosen saved with his left leg pad to keep the score tied at one.

The Bears were able to escape the period still tied with the Crimson, despite having to kill a total of three Harvard power plays in addition to the penalty shot, and getting outshot by a 19-5 margin.

Fraser got another chance at Rosen early in the third period, and this time he didn't miss, working from right-to-left across the crease, and burying the first shot of the period just 50 seconds in to give Harvard a 2-1 lead, which the Crimson would hold onto for the victory.

Brown called a timeout with 55 seconds remaining and pulled Rosen for the extra attacker, but to no avail, as Harvard held on for the win.

Rosen finished with 34 saves, including 19 in the second period, while posting his 15th game this season with at least 30 saves. Richter made 16 saves for the Crimson, as Brown was outshot, 36-17. The Bears return home next weekend to host RPI on Friday night at 7:00 p.m. Saturday, Brown hosts Union in a 7:30 p.m. contest as the Bears will recognize the five members of the Class of 2008. Tickets are available for both games by calling 401-863-2773.

BROWN 1 0 0 x - 1
HARVARD 1 0 1 x - 2

First period - H, McCollem (Taylor, Rogers), 6:51; B, Prough (Hurley, Garbutt), PP, 18:15. Penalties - B, 0-0; H, 2-4.
Second period - No Scoring. Penalties - B, 3-6; H, 0-0.
Third Period - H, Fraser (Del Mauro, MacDonald), :50. Penalties - B, 1-2; H, 1-2.

B, Dan Rosen (59:05), 8-19-7-x - 34; H, Kyle Richter (60:00), 9-5-2-x - 16.