Clemente's 25 Saves Helps Lift Bears to 3-2 Victory over Quinnipiac

Clemente's 25 Saves Helps Lift Bears to 3-2 Victory over Quinnipiac

Feb. 21, 2009

Box Score

HAMDEN, CT - Freshman Mike Clemente (Great Falls, VA) made 25 saves, while senior Ryan Garbutt (Winnipeg, MAN) and junior Sean McMonagle (Oakville, ONT) each had two points to help lift the Brown men's ice hockey team (3-20-4, 3-14-3) to a 3-2 win over Quinnipiac (15-14-3, 8-9-3) on Saturday evening at the TD Banknorth Center, snapping an eight-game skid in the process.

With the exception of the first few minutes of the opening period during which Quinnipiac outshot Brown, 4-1, the Bears dominated the Bobcats, building a 12-7 advantage in shots on goal and grabbing a 1-0 lead before the end of the frame.

With Brown on its second of three first-period power-play chances at 15:38, senior leading scorer Matt Vokes (Auburn, MA) gave the Bears a 1-0 lead just 12 seconds into the man-advantage with his 10th goal of the year. Vokes was critical leading up to the goal, first winning a faceoff to Bud Fisher's left. Immediately prior to the goal, Vokes dug the puck out of the left corner and passed up to sophomore Jeremy Russell (St. Albert, ALB) at the right point. Russell fired a hard shot towards the net, which was tipped by junior Aaron Volpatti (Revelstoke, BC), who was stationed at the top of the crease. Fisher made the stop, but the puck popped right out to Vokes at the bottom of the left faceoff circle and he lifted it over Fisher's right shoulder for the 1-0 lead.

Earlier in the period, Clemente made a great save, while lying on his side, on a semi-breakaway by the Bobcats' Sean Coughlin to keep Quinnipiac off the board during the early-going, while helping to build momentum for the Bears.

Brown carried some of that momentum into the second period, but the two teams combined for six penalties in the middle seven minutes of the period, five of which were against the Bears, and Quinnipiac began to creep back into the game.

Back-to-back penalties on Brown 36 seconds apart led to a two-man advantage for the Bobcats lasting 1:25. The Bears were able to kill both of those penalties, but just 4:19 later, they were down by two players again, this time for 1:57. Quinnipiac capitalized 51 seconds into the two-man advantage when David Marshall moved into the high-slot and fired a wrist-shot, beating Clemente glove-side at 14:31.

The Bears regained the one-goal lead before the end of the period, when freshman Mike Wolff (Walpole, MA) scored his first career goal. Brown held possession in the zone for a long shift, helped in part by Wolff making a play at the right point to keep the puck in after Quinnipiac tried to clear it. Garbutt collected the puck from Wolff and passed up to McMonagle at the half-wall. McMonagle sent the puck up to Wolff at the center of the blueline and he fired a wrist-shot through traffic, that Fisher never saw, beating him to the right.

Junior Jordan Pietrus (Vermilion, ALB) gave Brown a 3-1 lead at 4:13 of the third period on a great fore-checking effort along with McMonagle. From neutral ice, Garbutt dumped the puck into the zone, forcing Fisher to make a save. Fisher left the puck for his defender, but Pietrus attacked the puck and forced a turnover right in front of the net. He and McMonagle worked together to possess the puck and Pietrus fired a hard shot that Fisher saved, but it trickled through his legs and into the net for the 3-1 lead.

The Bobcats pulled Fisher with 2:15 remaining in the game and after the Bears missed scoring into the empty net with under a minute left, Quinnipiac raced down the other way and Bryan Leitch made it a one-goal game, scoring from the outside edge of the left face-off circle, beating Clemente to the near post with 35.5 seconds remaining.

Brown won the ensuing face-off, attempting to score directly on the face-off and Quinnipiac attempted a last-second rush to score, but the Bears were able to pin them in the corner and escape with the victory.

Emotions were high at the end of the game, as three players from each team were each assessed a five minute penalty for fighting and a 10 minute game disqualification, meaning they will all miss next Friday's games.

Clemente finished with 25 saves, while Fisher stopped 22 shots for Quinnipiac. Brown returns to action next weekend for a pair of ECAC Hockey contests against Colgate and Cornell, the final two home contests of the season.

BROWN 1 1 1 x - 3
QUINNIPIAC 0 1 1 x - 2

First period - B, Vokes (Volpatti, Russell), PP, 15:50. Penalties - B, 0-0; Q, 3-6.
Second period - Q, Marshall (Beaudoin, Hansen), 5x3, 14:31; B, Wolff (McMonagle, Garbutt), 17:44. Penalties - B, 5-10; Q, 1-2.
Third Period - B, Pietrus (McMonagle, Garbutt), 4:13; Q, Leitch (Lampe, Marshall), EA, 19:24. Penalties - B, 6-45; Q, 7-47.

B, Mike Clemente (60:00), 7-11-7-x - 25; Q, Bud Fisher (57:43), 11-3-8-x - 22.