Clarkson Scores Seven Goals in Final 29 Minutes to Surge Past Bears, 8-2

Clarkson Scores Seven Goals in Final 29 Minutes to Surge Past Bears, 8-2

Feb. 18, 2006

Box Score

POTSDAM, NY - The Brown men's ice hockey team (3-18-6, 2-14-4) held onto a 2-1 lead mid-way through the second period, but Clarkson (16-15-3, 9-9-2) scored seven unanswered goals to earn an 8-2 victory over the Bears in an ECAC Hockey League game on Saturday evening at Cheel Arena.

Clarkson dominated the early part of the game, outshooting Brown 8-1 during the first 5:51 of the contest. But freshman goalie Mark Sibbald (Ridgeway, ONT) was up to the task, stopping all eight of those shots and helping Brown to take the first lead of the game. With the Bears on a power-play, sophomore Brian McNary (Edmonton, ALB) won the draw to sophomore leading scorer Jeff Prough (Farmington Hills, MI). Prough dove at the puck at the edge of the crease and tipped it past David Leggio just three seconds into the man-advantage.

However, the Golden Knights tied the contest at 14:05, scoring on their second power-play chance of the game, when Steve Zalewski fired a rocket from the center of the face-off circles.

Brown regained its one-goal lead when freshman Eric Slais (Fenton, MO) tallied on the power-play just 3:03 into the second period, redirecting a goal-mouth feed from sophomore Sean Hurley (Rutland, VT).

However, the Golden Knights responded with three unanswered goals to take a 4-2 lead heading into the final period of play. Their first, which came at 11:00, appeared to have been thrown into the net by Matt Ibister, but after a brief conference with the linesmen, the referee allowed the goal. Chris Brekelmans gave Clarkson a 3-2 lead at 16:10 and Chris D'Alvise scored the fourth on the power-play with just 26 seconds left in the period.

Shawn Weller fired a blast from the blue-line that deflected in off Sibbald's right leg pad, giving Clarkson a 5-2 lead at 6:12 of the third. Jeff Genovy knocked in the rebound of his own shot at 11:31 and Max Kolu gave the Golden Knights a 7-2 lead at 14:25, converting a two-on-one break with Philippe Paquet. Genovy added a power-play goal with 2:26 left to play for the 8-2 final.

Sibbald finished with 28 saves, while Leggio made 23 stops for Clarkson. The Bears return to Meehan Auditorium next weekend for the final regular-season weekend series of the year. Princeton comes to Providence on Friday evening, while Brown will host Quinnipiac on Saturday.

BROWN 1 1 0 x - 2
CLARKSON 1 3 4 x - 8

First period - B, Jeff Prough (Brian McNary), 5:54, PP; C, Steve Zalewski (Nick Dodge), 14:05, PP. Penalties - B, 3-6; C, 2-4.
Second period - B, Eric Slais (Sean Hurley, Brian McNary), 3:03, PP; C, Matt Isbister (Shawn Weller, Steve Zalewski), 11:00; Chris Brekelmans (David Cayer), 16:10; C, Chris D'Alvise (Grant Clitsome), 19:34, PP. Penalties - B, 4-8; C, 3-6.
Third period - C, Shawn Weller (Nick Dodge, Philippe Paquet), 6:12; C, Jeff Genovy (Chris D'Alvise, Brodie Rutherglen), 11:31; C, Max Kolu (Philippe Paquet), 14:25, SH; C, Jeff Genovy (Chris D'Alvise), 17:34. Penalties - B, 2-4; C, 3-6.

B, Mark Sibbald (60:00), 16-9-3-x - 28; C, David Leggio (60:00), 9-9-5-x - 23.