Three-Goal Third Period Lifts #19 Dartmouth to 5-2 Win over Bears

Three-Goal Third Period Lifts #19 Dartmouth to 5-2 Win over Bears

Feb. 6, 2009

Box Score

Providence, RI - With the score tied 2-2 at the start of the third period, #19 Dartmouth (12-7-3, 9-4-2) scored three goals in the final 20 minutes to open the game up and earn a 5-2 victory over the Brown men's ice hockey team (2-16-4, 2-11-3) on Friday evening at Meehan Auditorium.

The two teams played an even first period, with the Big Green holding a slim, 13-10, advantage in shots on net and each team scoring one goal a piece. With both teams skating four players towards the middle third of the period, senior Matt Vokes (Auburn, MA) gave Brown a 1-0 lead with his eighth goal of the year. After receiving a pass from freshman Mike Wolff (Walpole, MA) Vokes fired a wrist-shot on net from the bottom of the left face-off circle that beat Jody O'Neill stick-side for the 1-0 lead at 7:58.

However, less than four minutes later, at 11:46, Rob Pritchard tallied a power-play goal for the Big Green, tying the score at 1-1 when he tipped a centering feed from Doug Jones past junior Dan Rosen (Syosset, NY) from the top of the crease.

Dartmouth doubled the Bears up on shots in the second period, but once again each team scored once, as the two teams headed into the final 20 minutes deadlocked at 2-2. Scott Fleming scored a five-on-three power-play goal just 3:14 into the second period to take a 2-1 lead. Adam Estoclet sent a centering pass across the goal-mouth to Fleming on the right side of the net and Fleming one-timed the puck past Rosen for his ninth of the season.

Before the end of the period, at 18:18, the Bears would score a power-play goal of their own to knot the score at 2-2. Freshman Jeff Buvinow (Turnersville, NJ) sent the puck down to Vokes at the bottom of the left faceoff circle and Vokes took a quick shot, that freshman Jarred Smith (Pepper Pike, OH) tipped in for his third goal of the season.

Just prior to the goal with 3:30 remaining in the period, Rosen stopped Fleming on a short-handed breakaway, robbing the Dartmouth sophomore on his shot from close-range with a glove-save.

Dartmouth opened the game up with three goals in the final period, grabbing a 3-2 lead when Evan Stephens knocked in the rebound of a shot by Pritchard into a partially open net at 4:36. Fleming then scored his second of the game at 16:59 from in close, flipping the puck over Rosen, who was lying on his stomach. Connor Shields put the game out of reach with an empty-net goal at 18:29 for the 5-2 final.

Rosen finished with 35 saves for the Bears, who return to action tomorrow evening when they travel to Merrimack for a 7:00 p.m. game, their final non-league game of the season.

#19 DARTMOUTH 1 1 3 x 5
BROWN 1 1 0 x 2

First Period - B, Vokes (Wolff, Zolnierczyk), 4x4, 7:58; D, Pritchard (Jones, Owsiak), PP, 11:46. Penalties - D, 2-4; B, 3-6.
Second Period - D, Fleming (Estoclet, Shields), 5x3, 3:14; B, Smith (Vokes, Buvinow), PP, 18:18. Penalties - D, 3-6; B, 3-6.
Third Period - D, Stephens (Pritchard), 4:36; D, Fleming (Estoclet, Shields), 16:59; D, Shields (Reeds), EN, 18:29. Penalties - D, 2-4; B, 4-8.

D, Jody O'Neill (59:46), 9-6-12-x - 27; B, Dan Rosen (59:51), 12-14-9-x - 35.