Bears Erupt for Four Goals in Third Period in 5-2 Victory over #15 Cornell

Bears Erupt for Four Goals in Third Period in 5-2 Victory over #15 Cornell

Jan. 20, 2007

Box Score

ITHACA, NY - The Brown men's ice hockey team (8-7-4, 4-6-2) erupted for four goals in the final 20 minutes of play to break open a 1-1 game and earn a 5-2 win over #15 Cornell (9-7-3, 5-4-3) in an ECACHL and Ivy League game on Saturday evening at Lynah Rink. The win marks Brown's first victory in Ithaca since a 5-4 win in February, 1995 though the Bears did earn a point more recently with a 3-3 tie in December, 2003.

In search of its first win of 2007, Cornell came out flying and grabbed a 1-0 lead at 7:46 of the opening period when Raymond Sawada redirected a goal-mouth feed from Mark McCutcheon past Brown freshman Dan Rosen (Syosset, NY) with the Big Red on a power-play.

The Bears spent most of the middle seven minutes of the period on the penalty kill and failed to generate much in the offensive third of the ice. After an icing call on Brown late in the period, sophomore Matt Vokes (Auburn, MA) won a defensive zone face-off and sprung his junior linemates Chris Poli (Medfield, MA) and Jeff Prough (Farmington Hills, MI) on a two-on-two break. Poli fed Prough and both Cornell defensemen closed in on the Bears' leading scorer. Prough beat them, and raced in on a one-on-one with Cornell's Ben Scrivens, before burying his shot into the back of the net at 17:58 to tie the game at 1-1.

With Brown junior Brian McNary (Edmonton, ALB) in the box for slashing at 4:27 of the third, the two teams traded goals in a span of 27 seconds. Senior Sean Dersch (Edmonton, ALB) briefly gave the Bears a 2-1 lead when he connected on a two-on-one with junior Sean Hurley (Rutland, VT) at 5:13, scoring Brown's second short-handed goal of the year.

But just 27 seconds later, at 5:40, Brendan Nash fired a slap-shot from the center of the blueline that found its way into the back of the net to tie the score at 2-2. That would be the final goal allowed by Rosen and the Bears, who scored the final three goals of the contest.

McNary gave the Bears a 3-2 lead at 9:55 on a text-book give-and-go with sophomore Sean Muncy (Chesterfield, MO). Rosen came out of the net and played the puck up to McNary in neutral ice. McNary crossed the puck to Muncy in the slot and Muncy crossed it back to McNary, who one-timed it into the open net.

Sophomore Ryan Garbutt (Winnipeg, MAN), who has scored four goals in the past seven games increased Brown's lead to 4-2 when he collected the puck just outside of the Bears' zone, skated in on Scrivens and fired the puck into the back of the net at 18:03.

Cornell pulled Scrivens, immediately after the goal, at 18:15 for the extra attacker and Muncy scored an empty-net goal to seal the win with 23 seconds remaining.

Rosen finished with 27 saves, while Scrivens recorded 21 saves for Cornell. After seven straight road games, the Bears return home to host Union and RPI next weekend in a pair of League games.

BROWN 1 0 4 x - 5
CORNELL 1 0 1 x - 2

First period - C, Raymond Sawada (Mark McCutcheon, Byron Bitz), 7:46 (PP); B, Jeff Prough (Chris Poli, Hunter Thunell), 17:58. Penalties - B, 3-6; C, 3-6.
Second period - No Scoring. Penalties - B, 2-4; C, 4-8.
Third Period - B, Sean Dersch (Sean Hurley), 5:13 (SH); C, Brendan Nash (Mitch Carefoot), 5:40 (PP); B, Brian McNary (Sean Muncy, Dan Rosen), 9:55; B, Ryan Garbutt (Sean Hurley), 18:03; B, Sean Muncy (Antonin Roux), 19:37 (EN). Penalties - B, 3-6; C, 2-4.

B, Dan Rosen (60:00), 9-9-9-x - 27; C, Ben Scrivens (58:30), 4-9-8-x - 21.