Bears Fall to St. Lawrence, 6-1

Bears Fall to St. Lawrence, 6-1

Jan. 16, 2009

Box Score

PROVIDENCE, RI - St. Lawrence (11-9-1, 3-5-1) scored five straight goals over the final two periods to open up a 1-1 game and hand the Brown men's hockey team (1-11-4, 1-6-3) a 6-1 loss on Friday evening at Meehan Auditorium.

The two teams played a relatively even first period, as each team took nine shots and scored one goal. Skating on their second power-play chance of the night, the Saints grabbed a 1-0 lead when Mike McKenzie beat junior Dan Rosen (Syosset, NY) on a wrap-around from the right side of the net. Rosen slid from the opposite post to try to get there, but was a split second late, as McKenzie was able to slip the puck between his right leg and the post at 12:31.

Brown got one back less than four minutes later when senior Ryan Garbutt (Winnipeg, MAN) converted on a penalty shot at 16:10. Garbutt was hooked down by Matt Generous in front of the net, setting up the penalty shot. It appeared that Saints' goalie Kain Tisi made the save on Garbutt's low shot, but the puck trickled through his legs and over the goal line, tying the score at 1-1.

St. Lawrence regained the one-goal lead at 8:20 of the second period, scoring another power-play goal. Brock McBride fired a shot from the right point that beat Rosen top-shelf on the near-side for the 2-1 lead. Travis Vermeulen gave the Saints a 3-1 lead 4:34 later when his shot from the top of the right face-off circle beat Rosen glove-side, high, knocking the water bottle off the top of the net, just seven seconds after another Saints' power-play had expired.

Following the goal, Rosen was replaced in net by freshman Mike Clemente (Great Falls, VA), who stopped all nine shots he faced in the remainder of the period.

The Bears had two great chances on a late power-play, but sophomore Jeremy Russell (St. Albert, ALB) hit the post and then senior Matt Vokes (Auburn, MA) had a look at a wide-open net, but couldn't get a shot off before Tisi was able to recover.

Generous increased St. Lawrence's lead to 4-1 when his shot from the outside edge of the right face-off circle beat Clemente to the near-side, deflecting off the post and in at 8:39.

Just 26 seconds after the goal, the Bears got a tremendous opportunity when Derek Keller was whistled for a double-minor, setting up a full four-minute power-play for Brown. Then 36 seconds later, Alex Curran took an interference penalty, giving the Bears a two-man advantage for two minutes. However, Brown failed to capitalize and the Saints were able to hold onto the three-goal lead.

St. Lawrence scored two more goals in a span of 23 seconds in the final two minutes of play for the 6-1 final.

Rosen finished with 12 saves in 32:54, while Clemente made 19 saves in the final 27:06. Tisi recorded 23 for the Saints. The Bears return to action tomorrow afternoon when they host Clarkson in a 4:00 p.m. contest.

ST. LAWRENCE 1 2 3 x - 6
BROWN 1 0 0 x - 1

First period - S, McKenzie (DeVergilio, Parenteau), PP, 12:21; B, Garbutt (unassisted), PS, 16:10. Penalties - S, 2-4; B, 2-4.
Second period - S, McBride (Ross, Miskovic), PP, 8:20; S, Vermeulen (Curran, McBride), 12:54. Penalties - S, 1-2; B, 3-6.
Third Period - S, Generous (Drewiske), 8:39; S, Miskovic (McBride, Keller), 17:58; S, Cunningham (Drewiske), 18:27. Penalties - S, 4-8; B, 0-0.

S, Kain Tisi (59:48), 8-8-7-x - 23; B, Dan Rosen (32:54), 8-4-x-x - 12; B, Mike Clemente (27:06), x-9-10-x - 19.