Marchin Lifts Men’s Hockey Over No. 1 Providence, 4-3, in Overtime

Marchin Lifts Men’s Hockey Over No. 1 Providence, 4-3, in Overtime

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Rookie Tommy Marchin (Algonac, Mich.) scored the game-winning goal at 2:30 in overtime to lead the Brown men's hockey team past No. 1 and defending national champion Providence College, 4-3, in the Mayor's Cup finale Sunday afternoon at Meehan Auditorium.

Brown improved to 4-8-3 overall, while Providence (13-2-3) claimed the two-game Mayor's Cup series due to goal differential after a 4-1 victory in the first game. The win marked Brown's first victory over a top ranked team since the 2012-13 season when the Bears topped No. 1 Quinnipiac in the ECAC Tournament semifinals.

In addition to Marchin, junior Andrew Doane (Holliston, Mass.) and sophomores Josh McArdle (Roscoe, Ill.) and Charlie Corcoran (New Canaan, Conn.) also scored for the Bears. Tim Ernst (Pickering, Ontario) made 31 saves to earn the win, while Nick Ellis recorded 42 stops on the other end.

"They are a great team and we definitely earned the win," said head coach Brendan Whittet. "From the drop of the puck until the end, I thought we played sound hockey."

Brown outshot the Friars, 46-34.

Doane put the Bears on top early with his first career goal at 2:50. He took a centering pass from Davey Middleton (Novi, Mich.) and then tapped in his own rebound for the 1-0 lead.

Branden Tanev evened the score for the Friars at 6:28, when he blasted a shot from above the left circle.

Brown controlled play for most the opening period and outshot the Friars, 19-14, highlighted by Nick Lappin's shot off the post. Providence took advantage of a late turnover, however, as Ryan Tait collected the puck behind the net and found Kevin Rooney in the slot for the 2-1 advantage.

Brown evened the score at 6:35 in the second period when McArdle launched a shot through traffic and into the back of the net. Alex Brink (Hamilton, N.Y.) and Sam Lafferty (Hollidaysburg, Pa.) picked up assists on the play. 

After Brian Pinho scored the go-ahead goal midway through the second, the Bears answered back at 13:28 when Corcoran re-directed Tyler Wood's point shot for his first goal of the season.

Brown outshot the Friars, 15-8, in the second period.

After an evenly played third period, when PC had a 10-8 edge in shots, the two teams skated to overtime.

Marchin notched the game winner after a shot by Max Gottlieb (Old Bridge, N.J.) as he hit home the rebound from in front of crease to seal the victory.

Brown returns to play on Jan. 15-16 for a home-and-home series against Yale. Brown will visit Yale on Friday, Jan. 15 before hosting the Bulldogs the following night at 7 p.m. Tickets for all Brown men's hockey games can be purchased online, calling the Brown Athletics Ticket Office at (401) 863-2773, or walking up to the Box Office located in the Pizzitola Sports Center, open Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. 

Photo courtesy of Ken Jancef