Men’s Hockey Topped at No. 4 Union, 4-3

Men’s Hockey Topped at No. 4 Union, 4-3

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. – Freshman Zack Pryzbek (Niagara on the Lake, Ontario) evened the score with 31 seconds left in the second period, but No. 4 Union bounced back with the go-ahead goal early in the third as the Brown men's hockey team fell to the Dutchmen, 4-3, Friday evening at Messa Rink.

Brown dropped to 9-10-3 overall and 6-8-1 in ECAC play, while Union improved to 18-6-3 on the season and 12-3-0 in conference action.

Sophomores Mark Naclerio (Milford, Conn.) and Nick Lappin (Geneva, Ill.) netted one power-play goal apiece in the first period, while Lappin finished with two points. Freshman Tyler Steel (Kelowna, British Columbia) made 27 stops in net for the Bears. Colin Stevens made 34 saves on the other end to earn the win.

After a Brown penalty, Union opened up the scoring at 6:18 when Mat Bodie scored a power-play goal from the left circle to give the home side the early lead, 1-0.

From there, Union was called for a five-minute major and Brown was also flagged for a minor which resulted in 4-on-4 play, but another Brown penalty 11 seconds later gave the Dutchmen the 4-on-3 power play. After Brown killed off the penalty, highlighted by consecutive blocks from rookies Aleksi Rossi (Kuopio, Finland) and Tyler Wood (Manchester, Mass.), the Bears took advantage of the remaining five-minute major by scoring two goals in a 15-second span to take the lead.

Naclerio put the Bears on the board at 11:14 with his team-high 15th tally of the season. Lappin sent a centering pass from the left side to Naclerio, who was wide open in front for the net for the equalizer. Junior Massimo Lamacchia (Maple, Ontario) was also credited with an assist on the play.

The Bears struck again 15 seconds later, as junior Matt Lorito (Oakville, Ontario) skated down the left side and hit Lappin for the one-timer just outside the left crease to push the visitors on top, 2-1. Senior Dennis Robertson (Fort St. John, British Columbia) started the play in the defensive end to earn the secondary assist.

Brown outshot the Dutchmen, 12-9, in the opening stanza.

Union answered right back after the first intermission as Daniel Ciampini scored 1:15 into the second period to even the score, 2-2.

After two minutes of sustained pressure by Brown later in the period, Stevens was able to hold off the attack, setting up a goal by Sam Coatta at 18:53 to push the home side in front, 3-2.

With 31 seconds left in the period, Stevens was unable to control a shot by senior Garnet Hathaway (Kennebunkport, Maine), and Pryzbek was there in front of the crease to put back the rebound and even the score, 3-3. Brown held a 13-11 advantage in shots during the second period.

Max Novak scored the game-winning goal just 1:01 into the third period as he snapped a quick wrist shot past the reach of Steel to lift the Dutchmen on top, 4-3.

The Bears enjoyed a power-play opportunity with 8:40 remaining in regulation, but the Dutchmen killed off the attempt and Stevens stopped a pair of late shots by Lappin and Hathaway to preserve the one-goal victory.

Brown outshot the Dutchmen, 37-31, in the contest.

The Bears return to action on Saturday, Feb. 8 when they visit Rensselaer at 7 p.m.