Men’s Hockey Falls at No. 18 Cornell, 5-1

Men’s Hockey Falls at No. 18 Cornell, 5-1
ITHACA, N.Y. – Junior Matt Lorito (Oakville, Ontario) scored on a penalty shot for the first goal of the game, but the Big Red responded with five unanswered goals as the Brown men's hockey team fell at No. 18 Cornell, 5-1, Friday evening at Lynah Rink.

Brown falls to 3-4-1 on the season and 1-3-1 in ECAC play, while Cornell improves to 5-3-1 overall and 3-3-1 in the league.

The opening of the contest featured back-and-forth action for the first few minutes, until Cornell goalie Andy Iles failed to completely cover up a loose puck on a slow shot, nearly leading to an easy Brown score.

Brown benefited from a Cornell penalty a few minutes later, and although the Bears failed to score on the advantage, there was a scramble in front of the net a few seconds after the power play and a Big Red player was called for reaching into the crease and freezing the puck. Matt Lorito took the penalty shot and buried the puck high glove side to give the visitors the lead, 1-0.

Cornell answered back with a power-play goal at 12:43. Patrick McCarron blasted a shot from the blue line, which was denied by Brown goalie Tyler Steel (Vernon, British Columbia), but the puck bounced back into heavy traffic before Matt Buckles flipped the rebound over the shoulder of Steel to even the score, 1-1.

Brown outshot the Big Red in the opening period by a margin of 13-8.

The Big Red gained the lead at 7:34 in the second period when Joakin Ryan took a shot that rattled off the post and slid to the right circle, where Cole Bardreau hit the rebound to lift the Big Red in front, 2-1.

Cornell maintained its momentum with another tally exactly five minutes later to take a two-goal lead. Madison Dias fielded a pass in the left circle and took advantage of the open space as he turned around and launched a shot past Steel to give the home side the lead, 3-1.

The Bears came on strong down the stretch with a power-play attempt with less than four minutes left in the stanza, before Lorito and Lappin enjoyed a pair of solid bids in the final minute, but both were denied as the Big Red held a two-goal lead at second intermission. Cornell held a 12-8 edge in shots during the second period.

Brown put together a late flurry in the third period, highlighted by a pair of chances from Nick Lappin (Geneva, Ill.) and rebound by Matt Wahl (Wellington, Fla.), but both were denied by Iles to preserve the three-goal lead.

Cornell added two more goals in the final 1:45. Reece Willcox notched an empty net goal at 18:15 before Eric Freschi scored at 19:01 to seal the victory.

Steel made 23 saves in net for the Bears, while Iles recorded 25 stops on the other end for the Big Red. Cornel held a slim edge in shots, 28-26.

The Bears return to action on Saturday, Nov. 23 when they visit Colgate at 7 p.m.