Lamacchia’s Tying Goal with 1:46 Remaining Helps Bears Earn Point in 3-3 Tie with Harvard

Lamacchia’s Tying Goal with 1:46 Remaining Helps Bears Earn Point in 3-3 Tie with Harvard

PROVIDENCE, RI  – Freshman Massimo Lamacchia (Maple, ONT) scored the game-tying goal with 1:46 left in regulation, capping the Bears' comeback and helping to lift the Brown men's hockey team (8-14-4, 5-11-3) to a 3-3 tie with visiting Harvard (8-7-11, 6-4-9) on Friday evening at Meehan Auditorium. The tie gives the Bears a much-needed point, as Brown is now tied with RPI and Princeton with 13 points and sits just two points behind ninth-place Dartmouth.  

Highlighting the night was a two-point game for senior Jack Maclellan (Calgary, ALB), whose assist on Lamacchia's tying goal was the 100th point of his career. He had scored his 46th career goal late in the second period to bring Brown to within 3-2 for his 99th career point and became the first Brown player since 2008 (Jeff Prough '08) to earn at least 100 career points.  

Lamacchia's tying goal came just 24 seconds after the Bears had successfully killed Harvard's third power play of the night, as Lamacchia pushed the puck over the goal line after a scrum in front. Freshman Ryan Jacobson (Greenwood Village, CO), who is second on the team in goals with 10, nearly scored his 11th to win the game early in overtime. But, with a partially open net to shoot at from the left side, he narrowly missed wide, as he just couldn't corral a cross-ice pass from classmate Matt Lorito (Oakville, ONT).

Despite outshooting Harvard, 12-6, during the opening period, the Bears fell behind, 2-0, after a pair of Alex Killorn goals scored exactly eight minutes apart. Killorn put the visitors ahead, 1-0, at the 8:46 mark, converting Harvard's first power play chance of the game just eight seconds into the man-advantage. He then took a Tommy O'Regan pass in the slot and lifted it past senior Michael Clemente (Great Falls, VA) at 16:46 from the top of the crease for his 18th goal of the year.

The Bears got on the board just 1:50 into the second period when senior Jarred Smith (Pepper Pike, OH) batted at a puck sent towards the net by sophomore Dennis Robertson (Fort St. John, BC) for his third goal of the year.

With about 40 seconds left on Brown's second power play of the game, Maclellan thought he had tied the score at 2-2 when he skated the puck into the net. However, his momentum carried him into the net, knocking it off its pegs. The play was reviewed, but it was waived off, as the whistle had blown before the puck crossed the line.

Then, with Brown killing Harvard's second power play about two minutes later, Maclellan nearly got the Bears' second goal, stripping the puck away from a Harvard defenseman behind the net, skating it to the top of the crease, before back-handing it on goal. However, Raphael Girard stopped the Bears' captain, holding the 2-1 lead for his team.

The Bears went back up on the power play following the kill and the first unit on the ice had two great redirections in front, but neither found the back of the net. Juola just missed when his deflection of a Richie Crowley (Canton, MA) shot from the left side went wide right. Second later, freshman Matt Harlow (Bridgewater, MA) tipped another Crowley shot over the crossbar.

Harvard was able to kill the man-advantage and then capitalized on a defensive miscue to go up 3-1 just 22 seconds after the Bears' power play had expired. Sophomore Garnet Hathaway (Kennebunkport, ME) and Smith got caught in a neutral zone collision with Harvard's Danny Fick. Fick sent the puck up the left side for Killorn, who passed it to Fallstrom in the slot. The Bears attempted to clear the puck, but it went right back to Fallstrom, who spun and lifted the puck over Clemente's glove to give Harvard a 3-1 lead at 13:30.

Brown went right back up on the power play a minute later, and just nine seconds in, Maclellan's 15th goal of the year, brought the hosts to within 3-2. After collecting the puck from senior Jeff Buvinow (Turnersville, NJ) at the top of the right faceoff circle, Maclellan fired the puck past Girard, bringing him to within a point of his 100th career point.

Clemente finished with 26 saves, including all 15 he faced over the final 25 minutes, while Girard made 32 for Harvard. Brown returns to action tomorrow evening when it hosts Dartmouth in a 7:00 p.m. contest, the final regular-season home game for the 2011-2012 season.

HARVARD                     2            1            0            0            -             3
BROWN                        0            2            1            0            -             3

First period – H, Killorn (D. Biega, Greiner), PP, 8:46; H, Killorn (O'Regan, Fallstrom), 16:46. Penalties – H, 2-4; B, 2-4.

Second period – B, Smith (Juola, Robertson), 1:50; H, Fallstrom (Killorn, Fick), 13:30; B, Maclellan (Buvinow, Robertson), PP, 14:37. Penalties – H, 4-8; B, 1-2.

Third Period – B, Lamacchia (Maclellan, Lorito), 18:14. Penalties – H, 1-2; B, 1-2.

Overtime – No Scoring. Penalties – H, 1-2; B, 0-0.

H, Raphael Girard (64:47), 12-8-11-1 – 32; B, Mike Clemente (64:58), 4-7-11-4 – 26.

Attendance: 1,805

Pictured: Jack Maclellan '12. Photo by