Saints Come Back from 3-0 Deficit to Defeat Bears, 5-3

Saints Come Back from 3-0 Deficit to Defeat Bears, 5-3

PROVIDENCE, RI  – Trailing, 3-0, after the first period of play, St. Lawrence (10-15-3, 6-9-1) came back with five unanswered goals to earn a 5-3 win over the Brown men's hockey team (8-12-3, 5-9-2) Saturday evening at Meehan Auditorium. With the win, St. Lawrence leapfrogs Brown in the standings, as the Bears have fallen to 11th place, and are just one point ahead of 12th place RPI, after dropping four straight games.

The two teams were locked in an even 0-0 battle through the first 15 minutes of the opening frame, but a five-minute major penalty to St. Lawrence's Sean Logue would be a turning point in the period, as Brown scored three times on the ensuing power play to take a 3-0 lead into the first intermission.

The first two goals, scored just 22 seconds apart, were nearly identical, as freshman Ryan Jacobson (Greenwood Village, CO) and senior Jack Maclellan (Calgary, ALB) both redirected shots from the point past Saints' Matt Weninger.

Jacobson gave the Bears a 1-0 lead when he tipped a shot from junior Richie Crowley (Canton, MA) for his ninth goal of the year, while Maclellan tipped a shot by sophomore Dennis Robertson (Fort St. John, BC) for his team-leading 12th goal of the year.

By virtue of the five-minute major, the Bears went back to work on the power play and Maclellan scored his second of the night, knocking in the rebound of a flurry of shots by Robertson and Jacobson.

With Brown still leading, 3-0, and the Saints just coming off of their second power play of the game, senior Mike Clemente (Great Falls, VA) made a big save with 12:45 left in the second period to keep St. Lawrence off the board. After getting caught in a line change, St. Lawrence raced in on a three-on-one break. From the right wing, Gunnar Hughes passed to Tommy Thompson on his left, but Clemente slid across the crease and made the save with his right shoulder.

However, less than two minutes later, St. Lawrence would get on the board when Hughes was the recipient of a centering feed from his brother George Hughes and his one-timer from the top of the crease beat Clemente five-hole with 10:15 left in the second period.

Just after the goal, Maclellan narrowly missed the hat-trick when his attempt from the right side was saved by Weninger. St. Lawrence's Kyle Flanagan scooped up the rebound, skated end-to-end along the left wing and beat Clemente glove-side high with a wrist shot from the top of the left faceoff circle that banked off the crossbar and in at 10:45. 

With the Saints on their third power play of the night late in the second period, Robertson made a huge play to keep the Bears' lead at 3-2, diving to clear the puck away from the goal with Clemente out of the net after he had made a save on a Jordan Dewey shot late in the man-advantage.

However, St. Lawrence would tie the score before the end of the frame, as Jeremy Wick knocked in the rebound of a Gunnar Hughes shot. Clemente made a big save on Hughes' attempt, but he couldn't cover the puck and Wick was there to fire the puck into the partially open net with 2:38 left in the period.

The Saints went up on their fourth straight power play just 4:21 into the third period and needed only six seconds on the man-advantage to grab a 4-3 lead when Kyle Essery lifted the puck over Clemente's right shoulder from the near side of the crease.

Brown nearly tied the game with under five to play when sophomore Garnet Hathaway (Kennebunkport, ME) hit freshman Matt Lorito (Oakville, ONT) with a beautiful feed with the Bears on a three-on-one rush. However, Lorito fanned on the shot and St. Lawrence went the other way before Thompson connected on the fifth straight goal for the Saints with 3:24 remaining.

The Bears pulled Clemente in favor of the extra attacker with 2:16 remaining and a penalty on the Saints with 54 seconds left gave Brown a two-man advantage. However, Brown was unable to capitalize, dropping its fourth straight game and fifth of its last six.

Clemente finished with 28 saves, while Weninger made 27 for the Saints. Brown returns to action next weekend when it travels to central New York to face Cornell and Colgate in a pair of ECAC Hockey contests.

ST. LAWRENCE            0            3            2            x            -             5
BROWN                       3            0            0            x            -             3 

First period – B, Jacobson (Crowley, Lamacchia), PP, 16:43; B, Maclellan (Robertson, Zaires), PP, 17:05; B, Maclellan (Jacobson, Robertson), PP, 18:51. Penalties – S, 3-17; B, 1-2.

Second period – S, Gunnar Hughes (George Hughes, Mobley), 9:45; S, Flanagan (Child, Martin), 10:45; S, Wick (Gunnar Hughes, Baker), 17:22. Penalties – S, 0-0; B, 2-4.

Third Period – S, Essery (Dewey), PP, 4:27; S, Thompson (Drewiske, Carden), 16:36. Penalties – S, 2-4; B, 1-2.

S, Matt Weninger (60:00), 11-8-8-x – 27; B, Mike Clemente (57:44), 8-13-7-x – 28.

Attendance: 1350

Brendan Whittet post-game, here

Pictured: Bobby Farnham '12. Photo by