Bears Weather Third Period Storm, Defeat New Hampshire, 5-2

Bears Weather Third Period Storm, Defeat New Hampshire, 5-2

DURHAM, NH  – Clinging to a 3-2 lead early in the third period, sophomore goalie Marco De Filippo (Auronzo Di Cadore, Italy) and the rest of the Brown men's hockey team (5-6-1, 3-3-0 ECAC Hockey) weathered a furious UNH comeback attempt and scored two late goals to earn a 5-2 win over the Wildcats (6-10-2, 4-7-1 Hockey East) on Friday evening at the Whittemore Center.

Trailing, 3-0, after the first 30 minutes of play, New Hampshire came to life with two straight goals, including one in the first four minutes of the final period, during which the Wildcats outshot Brown, 19-7. However, De Filippo, who made his first start of the 2011-12 season, made 18 of his career-high 39 saves in the final 20 minutes to help Brown hold on long enough to score a pair of late goals and earn the win. De Filippo was brilliant during the opening 12 minutes of the frame, during which time UNH outshot the Bears, 17-3, making several huge saves, including one on an attempt by UNH leading scorer Stevie Moses from the backdoor that would have tied the score at 3-3.

Freshman Ryan Jacobson (Greenwood Village, CO) helped secure the win with his fourth of the season in the game's final five minutes, while classmate Matt Lorito (Oakville, ONT), who set up Jacobson's goal, iced the win with an empty net goal with 1:15 remaining.

The Bears grabbed a 1-0 lead at 8:34 of the first period on the fourth goal of the season for freshman Massimo Lamacchia (Maple, ONT). After collecting the puck at the top of the left faceoff circle following a UNH turnover, freshman Matt Harlow (Bridgewater, MA) fired a hard shot towards the net. Stationed at the top left of the crease, Lamacchia redirected the puck past Matt Di Girolamo, near side, to give Brown the early lead.

Junior Jeff Ryan (Media, PA) doubled Brown's lead 6:24 into the second period, scoring on a great individual effort from the left side. After collecting the puck in the neutral zone from sophomore Matt Wahl (Wellington, FL) on a line change, Ryan skated across the ice and up the middle, taking on two UNH defenders. Ryan skated up to the edge of the left faceoff circle and backhanded the puck inside the near post for his second goal of the year.

Less than four minutes later, senior Jack Maclellan (Calgary, ALB) gave the Bears a 3-0 lead with his sixth goal of the year and third in as many games. Maclellan started the play by winning a defensive zone faceoff back to Wahl. Wahl sent the puck around the boards to Jacobson on the right wing. Jacobson played the puck ahead for Maclellan, who skated almost coast-to-coast, before deking Di Girolamo and lifting the puck over his blocker at the 10:22 mark.

However, the Wildcats ended De Filippo's shutout bid just two minutes later when Connor Hardowa got UNH on the board following a faceoff win by Scott Pavelski at 12:14.

New Hampshire replaced Di Girolamo in net with Casey DeSmith at the start of the third period and the Wildcats leading scoring duo of Nick Sorkin and Stevie Moses brought the hosts to within a goal just 4:20 into the final period. Moses passed to Sorkin in front of the Bears' net and De Filippo made a save on Sorkin's initial attempt. However, Sorkin collected the rebound and tucked the puck behind De Filippo to bring New Hampshire to within 3-2.

With Brown getting outshot, 17-3, through the first 13 minutes of the third period, the Bears' had a chance to increase their lead when Maclellan stepped up to take a penalty shot after a UNH skater covered the puck in the crease. However, DeSmith made the stop on Maclellan's attempt, keeping the Wildcats within a goal at the 13:21 mark.

Brown appeared to take a 4-2 lead with 4:31 left in regulation when Lorito centered the puck for Jacobson, who was crashing the slot. The puck redirected past DeSmith, but with Brown celebrating behind the net, the referee signaled no-goal, ruling that Jacobson had kicked the puck into the net. After a video review, the decision was reversed, providing some insurance for the Bears.

UNH pulled DeSmith in favor of the extra attacker with 2:45 remaining and pressured the Bears for over a minute. However, Lorito collected the puck in the neutral zone after it was misplayed by the UNH defensemen and skated it into the open net with 1:15 remaining, scoring his first career goal and clinching the 5-2 win, Brown's first over UNH since 1987.

Brown returns to action on Sunday afternoon when it makes the short trip across Providence to face the Friars in the 26th annual edition of the Mayor's Cup battle. The puck drops at 4:00 p.m. at PC's Schneider Arena and is the final non-league contest of the season for the Bears.

BROWN                           1            2            2            x            -            5
NEW HAMPSHIRE           0            1            1            x            -            2

First period – B, Lamacchia (Harlow), 8:34. Penalties – B, 2-4; N, 0-0.

Second period – B, Ryan (Wahl), 6:24; B, Maclellan (Jacobson, Wahl), 10:22; N, Hardowa (Pavelski, Borisenok), 12:14. Penalties – B, 0-0; N, 0-0.

Third Period – N, Sorkin (Moses), 4:20; B, Jacobson (Lorito, Maclellan), 15:29; B, Lorito (EN), 18:45. Penalties – B, 0-0; N, 1-2.

B, Marco De Filippo (60:00), 12-9-18-x – 39; N, Matt Di Girolamo (40:00), 7-8-x-x – 15; Casey DeSmith (18:30), x-x-5-x – 5.

Attendance: 4,693

Pictured: Marco De Filippo '14. Photo by Gil Talbot.