Bears Fall to Dartmouth, 2-1, on Late Goal

Bears Fall to Dartmouth, 2-1, on Late Goal

HANOVER, NH – The Brown men's hockey team (0-1-0, 0-0-0) dropped a 2-1 decision to Dartmouth (1-0-0, 0-0-0) as part of the 2011 Ivy Shootout in the season opener for both teams Friday evening at Thompson Arena. The result counts as a non-league contest for both teams though it does not count in ECAC Hockey or Ivy standings. 

The Bears applied pressure early on, with senior Jack Maclellan (Calgary, ALB) winning two faceoffs and getting three shots off in the opening two minutes. However, Dartmouth would go ahead, 1-0, on its first sustained offensive possession. After three saves by senior Mike Clemente (Great Falls, VA), the Bears could not clear the zone and Dustin Walsh was able to pass across the blueline to Mike Keenan. Keenan fired a slap shot from the left point that beat Clemente glove-side high just 4:09 into the game.

Each team had an abbreviated power play chance roughly four minutes following the Dartmouth goal, but could do nothing with it and a Bears' power play in the 12th minute of the period failed to produce a goal for Brown, despite six shots, three of which were on goal. For the frame, Brown outshot Dartmouth, 7-6, and had an 11-4 advantage in faceoff wins.

The Big Green ended the first period with a power play chance that carried 1:28 over into the second period, but with 20 seconds remaining, sophomore Mark Hourihan (Lynnfield, MA) was hooked down while driving the goal, setting up the game's second four-on-four and then Brown's third power play of the night.

Brown earned two more power play chances in the period, and despite possessing the puck in the zone for large stretches of the first opportunity, could not solve Dartmouth's James Mello, as the Big Green held onto the 1-0 lead through two periods.

The two teams opened the third period with 40 seconds remaining on another four-on-four set after penalties on senior Jarred Smith (Pepper Pike, OH) and Dartmouth's Dan Nycholat.

Doug Jones nearly put the hosts up 2-0 on the first shift of the period, but Clemente played the two-on-one perfectly and made the save to keep the Bears within one.

Just 28 seconds after returning to the ice, Smith tied the score at 1-1, taking a feed from sophomore Marc-Anotine Carrier (St-Michel-de-Bellechasse, QUE) in front and putting it past Mello for the Bears' first of the year.

Following the goal, both teams had power play chances that they couldn't capitalize on. But the Big Green regained the lead, 2-1, with 3:04 remaining when Tyler Sikura lifted the puck over Clemente after collecting the puck from Dustin Walsh.

Brown pulled Clemente in favor of the extra attacker with 53 seconds left, but a last second rush and shot by Maclellan failed to result in a goal, as Dartmouth held on for the win.

For the game, Brown outshot Dartmouth, 25-21 and held a 29-28 advantage in faceoff wins, led by Maclellan, who won 13 of 20. Clemente finished with 19 saves, while Mello stopped 24 for the Big Green.

Brown returns to action tomorrow afternoon when it faces Princeton in a 4:00 p.m. contest. 

BROWN                                0            0            1            x            -            1
DARTMOUTH                        1            0            1            x            -            2

First period – D, Keenan (D. Walsh, Sikura), 4:09. Penalties – B, 2-4; D, 2-4.
Second period –
No Scoring. Penalties – B, 2-4; D, 4-8.
Third Period – B, Smith (Carrier), 1:08; D, Sikura (D. Walsh, McNally), 16:56. Penalties – B, 3-6; D, 1-2.

B, Mike Clemente (59:07), 5-7-7-x – 19; D, James Mello (59:57), 7-9-8-x – 24.

Pictured: Jarred Smith '12. Photo by