Quinnipiac Scores 15 Seconds into the Game en route to 4-0 Win in First Round Game One

Quinnipiac Scores 15 Seconds into the Game en route to 4-0 Win in First Round Game One

HAMDEN, CT – Quinnipiac's Jeremy Langlois scored just 15 seconds after the opening faceoff and the Bobcats (14-13-8) raced away with a 4-0 win over the Brown men's hockey team (10-15-5) in game one of the ECAC Hockey Best-of-Three First Round Series Friday evening at the TD Bank Sports Center.

Brown failed to generate much of anything all night, being limited to just 23 shots after posting at least 40 shots in two of its final three games of the regular season. A bright spot for the Bears was the play of sophomore Anthony Borelli (Grand Island, NY), who came in in relief of junior Mike Clemente (Great Falls, VA) and stopped all 15 shots he faced over 34-plus minutes.

The Bobcats wasted little time in grabbing a 1-0 lead, as Langlois beat Clemente on the very first shot of the game just 15 seconds in. Brown failed to generate anything after winning the opening faceoff and Loren Barron was able to clear the Quinnipiac zone up to Langlois on the left wing. Langlois carried the puck through the neutral zone before beating Clemente glove-side high for the lead.

Brown began to build momentum after the goal, despite having to kill a penalty, and went ahead in the shot category, 5-2. The Bears' best chance came six minutes in on a three-on-two rush with freshman Mike Juola (Lake Forest, CA), senior Harry Zolnierczyk (Toronto, ONT), and sophomore Chris Zaires (Aberdeen, NJ). Juola fed Zolnierczyk on the left, but after his shot was saved the Quinnipiac defense cleared the puck right up to freshman Dennis Robertson (Fort St. John, BC) at the left point. Robertson took a quick shot, which Dan Clarke saved, as the Bobcats held onto the 1-0 lead.

Quinnipiac extended its lead to 2-0, scoring on just its fourth shot of the evening. After Ben Arnt's attempt from the slot hit the right post, the puck fell behind Clemente, who attempted to cover. However, Yuri Bouharevich was on the other side of the crease and tipped it over the goal line, doubling the Bobcats' lead at 12:56.

Brown earned its first power play chance of the game 1:38 into the second period, but aside from maintaining possession for a few long stretches, could not get any shots to find the net.

It took nearly five minutes for either team to take a shot in the period and after a Bobcats' attempt was saved by Clemente at 4:37, Quinnipiac increased its lead to 3-0 just 18 seconds later when Zach Hansen fired a shot from the right point that beat Clemente to the far corner.

Brown went up on its second power play at 5:18 and Zaires looked to get the Bears on the board with a one-timer from the slot, but his attempt was saved by Clarke and he was whistled for goalie interference on the same play, setting up a four-on-four for 1:28.

Just seven seconds after the penalty, Kellen Jones increased the Bobcats' lead to 4-0 when he stood to the right of Clemente with the puck, seemingly for an, before lifting it over the Bears' netminder at 5:57.

Following the goal Borelli entered the game appearing for just the second time this season and replacing Clemente, who had stopped eight shots.

The Bobcats looked to extend their lead even more with a pair of third period power plays, but were held off the board by Brown's penalty kill. More importantly for the Bears though, was that they were short-handed for four of the first nine minutes of the period, which largely prevented them from gaining any momentum.

Clemente finished with eight saves in 25:57, allowing all four goals, while Borelli stopped all 15 shots he faced in 34:03 of relief. Dan Clarke made 22 for the Bobcats to earn the shutout. Brown and Quinnipiac resume action tomorrow evening at 7:00 with game two of the Best-of-Three Series. The Bears are in a must-win situation if they hope to extend their season past tomorrow night.

BROWN                        0            0            0            x            -            0
QUINNIPIAC                2            2            0            x            -             4

First Period – Q, Langlois (Barron), 0:15; Q, Bouharevich (Arnt, Dalhuisen), 12:56. Penalties – B, 2-4; Q, 0-0.

Second Period – Q, Hansen (Goodman, Zurevinski), 4:55; Q, K. Jones (C. Jones), 5:57. Penalties – B, 1-2; Q, 4-8.

Third Period – No Scoring. Penalties – B, 2-4; Q, 0-0.

B, Mike Clemente (25:57) – 5-3-x-x – 8; B, Anthony Borelli (34:03) – x-5-10-x – 15; Q, Dan Clarke (60:00) – 7-8-7-x – 22.

Attendance: 2,054

Pictured: Anthony Borelli '13. Photo by DSPics.net.