Hourihan’s Third Period Goal Salvages 2-2 Tie with Quinnipiac

Hourihan’s Third Period Goal Salvages 2-2 Tie with Quinnipiac

HAMDEN, CT – Freshman Mark Hourihan (Lynnfield, MA) scored his second goal in three games 3:57 into the third period to lift the Brown men's hockey team (8-13-5, 6-11-2) to a come-from-behind 2-2 tie with Quinnipiac (13-13-6, 9-9-5) on Saturday evening at TD Bank Sports Center. The Bears trailed, 2-0, after the first period, but scored once in each of the next two periods to gain the point and stay alive in the hunt for home ice for the ECAC playoffs.

With three games left in the season, the ninth-place Bears sit one point ahead of St. Lawrence, and three behind both Quinnipiac and Clarkson.

The two teams traded power play chances during the opening four minutes with Quinnipiac converting its opportunity at 4:22 to grab an early lead. Brown had the first chance and built a 5-1 advantage in shots, holding possession in the zone for nearly the entire two minutes, but could not find the back of the net. Just 1:03 after killing the penalty, the Bobcats would go up on their own advantage and Scott Zurevinski put away the rebound of a shot by Jeremy Langlois just 26 seconds later for the 1-0 lead.

Just about a minute later, senior Harry Zolnierczyk (Toronto, ONT) nearly tied the game at 1-1, but he couldn't corral the puck off a feed from freshman Michael Juola (Lake Forest, CA) on a three-on-two break and the puck sailed behind the net with goalie Eric Hartzell out of position.

With Quinnipiac skating on its second power play of the period after a too many men on the ice call against Brown, Zolnierzyk intercepted a pass at the Brown blueline, beat the two Quinnipiac defensemen to the puck and raced in alone on Hartzell. He made one move too many and never got a shot off, as the game remained, 1-0, in favor of the Bobcats.

            Then, just 30 seconds later, Quinnipiac made it two-for-two on the man-advantage when Russell Goodman redirected a feed from Kellen Jones through junior Mike Clemente's (Great Falls, VA) five-hole from the top of the crease to put the Bobcats ahead, 2-0, at 14:19.

The Bears pressed early in the second period and had back-to-back power play chances during the opening five minutes of the period, which included a 13-second five-on-three. Brown's best chance came at the tail end of the first power-play when Zolnierczyk, alone in the slot, intercepted a Quinnipiac pass and took a quick shot to the upper right corner, which Hartzell was able to glove down.

Freshman Dennis Robertson (Fort St. John, BC) finally got Brown on the board at 17:09 with his team-leading fifth power play goal of the season, snapping Brown's 0-31 stretch on the man-advantage, which included the first four chances of tonight's game. Sophomore Chris Zaires (Aberdeen, NJ) dug the puck out of the corner and passed it up to Zolnierczyk at the left half wall. Zolnierczyk passed the puck up to Robertson at the center of the blueline and he fired a blast that beat Hartzell stick-side. The goal, Robertson's sixth of the season, also broke Brown's record for goals scored in a season by a freshman defenseman.

Things got interesting 46 seconds after the goal, as Brown went up on a five-minute power play following with 27 minutes in penalties assessed to two different Quinnipiac players. However, a bench minor on the Bears at the 20-minute mark and with 2:55 remaining on the power-play, temporarily negated the advantage.

The two teams opened the third period with each side skating four players for the first two minutes, before Brown would resume the power play. The Bears held possession, but again, were unable to light the lamp, as the score remained, 2-1, in favor of the Bobcats, three minutes into the final period.

Brown tied the game at 3:57when Hourihan put away the rebound of a shot by Juola for his second goal in the Bears' last three games. Freshman Matt Wahl (Wellington, FL) started the play when he sent a bouncing puck in on Hartzell from the blueline. Juola picked up the rebound and sent it back in, before Hourhan got to it and pushed it behind Hartzell.

Hourihan's goal would stand as the only score of the third period, as the two teams headed for overtime.

Quinnipiac went up on the power play, its seventh of the night, just 44 seconds into overtime, but with 22 seconds left on the man-advantage, Zolnierczyk raced in on a short-handed breakaway, drawing a tripping penalty on the Bobcats. Zolnierczyk was awarded a penalty shot with 2:44 remaining, but shot the puck into Hartzell's chest, as the score remained tied at two.

Both teams had chances to break the tie in the waning minutes, but both Clemente and Hartzell made the saves they needed to, helping to preserve the tie.

Clemente finished with 39 saves, while Hartzell made 29 for the Bobcats. Brown closes out the regular season with three home games next week, beginning with Tuesday night's game against Harvard, slated for 7:00 p.m. The Bears then host Cornell and Colgate on Friday and Saturday, with both games beginning at 7:00. 

BROWN                        0            1            1            0            -            2
QUINNIPIAC                2            0            0            0            -            2

First Period – Q,Zurevinski (Langlois, Hansen), PP, 4:22; Q, Goodman (K. Jones, C. Jones), PP, 14:19. Penalties – B, 3-6; Q, 2-4.
Second Period –
B, Robertson (Zolnierczy, Zaires), PP, 17:09. Penalties – B, 5-10; Q, 8-35.
Third Period –
B, Hourihan (Juola, Wahl), 3:57. Penalties - B, 1-2; Q, 0-0.
Overtime –
No Scoring. Penalties – B, 1-2; Q, 1-2.

B, Mike Clemente (65:00) – 12-13-10-4 – 39; Q, Eric Hartzell (65:00) – 7-3-17-2 – 29.

Attendance: 2,965

Pictured: Mark Hourihan '14. Photo by DSPics.net.