Special Teams the Difference in 5-2 Brown Win at Colgate

Special Teams the Difference in 5-2 Brown Win at Colgate


Led by a goal and two assists from junior Jack Maclellan (Calgary, ALB), who was one of five players to earn multiple points on the night, the Brown men's hockey team (2-2-1, 1-1-1) evened its record with a 5-2 win over Colgate (2-6-1, 0-4-1) on Friday evening at Starr Rink. Special teams would prove to be the difference in the game, which saw Brown score a pair of power play goals and one short-handed, junior Bobby Farnham's (North Andover, MA) game-winner midway through the third period. Colgate on the other hand was held scoreless in five power play chances, while getting out shot by the Bears, 9-2, during man-up opportunities.

Other players with multiple-points included sophomore Chris Zaires (Aberdeen, NJ), freshman Dennis Robertson (Fort St. John, BC) and Farnham, each with a goal and an assist, and junior Jeff Buvinow (Turnersville, NJ) with a pair of assists.

Looking for their first league win of the season, the Bears came out with energy in the first and then capitalized on a two-man advantage midway through the period to take a 1-0 lead into the first intermission.

After back-to-back Colgate penalties 1:38 apart, it took Zaires just 12 seconds on the five-on-three to score his first goal of the season.

Buvinow started the play when he crossed the puck up to Robertson at the top of the right face-off circle. Robertson sent the puck down low to Zaires at the bottom of the left circle, and after his first attempt was blocked by a defender, he picked up the rebound and lifted it behind Alex Evin for his first goal of the year at 9:32.

Brown nearly doubled its lead just 1:08 into the second period. With each team skating four players, senior David Brownschidle (Lawrenceville, NJ) fed Zaires on a two-on-one break. Zaires was able to get his shot from the left side off, but Evin made a nice save to hold the score at 1-0.

The Raiders started to put the pressure on the Bears and Matt Firman tied the score at one at the 8:32 mark on what was the fourth in a series of consecutive shots faced by junior Mike Clemente (Great Falls, VA). Clemente made back-to-back-to-back saves on shots by Firman, Austin Mayer, and Corbin McPherson. However, he could not make the fourth, as Firman put away his shot from the edge of the crease to tie the score.

However, no sooner had the Raiders tied the score than Brown went back up on the power play. With Evin hugging the right post, junior Jarred Smith (Pepper Pike, OH) went for a wrap-around chance to the other side and an open net to shoot at. However, Colgate's Thomas Larkin pushed the net off its moorings, getting whistled for a delay of game. Just 1:05 into that power play, the Raiders took a bench-minor for too many men on the ice and Brown again capitalized on the two-man advantage to take a 2-1 lead at the 10:26 mark.

Maclellan collected the puck from Buvinow at the top of the left face off circle and pushed it across to Robertson at the bottom of the right circle. Robertson fired a quick shot that beat Evin near-side, as the rookie blueliner scored his fourth goal of the season.  

With 31 seconds left on Colgate's first power play chance of the period in the 16th minute of play, Farnham was hauled down by Jeremy Price on a short-handed break away, setting up a penalty shot. Farnham looked to shoot stick-side, but Evin made the save to hold the score at 2-1 heading into the final period.

Farnham got redemption for the missed goal on the penalty shot when he skated into the zone with Maclellan on a two-on-none Bears' short-handed opportunity. Maclellan carried the puck along the right boards before passing to Farnham, who tucked the puck in behind Evin from the left post for his first goal of the year at the 9:14 mark.

Brownschidle scored Brown's first even-strength goal of the night to increase the lead to 4-1, when he one-timed the puck past Evin, glove-side on a feed from behind the goal by freshman Garnet Hathaway (Kinnebunkport, ME) with 4:34 remaining.

The Raiders pulled Evin in favor of the extra attacker with 3:28 left in the game and Robbie Bourdon made it a two-goal game just 43 seconds later. However, it was as close as Colgate would get. After pulling Evin for a second time with 1:12 left, Maclellan added an empty-netter at the 19:27 mark, back-handing the puck through traffic and into the open net for the 5-2 final.

Clemente finished with 28 saves, while Evin made 20 saves for the Raiders. Brown returns to action tomorrow evening, November 20th, when it takes on Cornell in a 7:00 p.m. ECAC and Ivy League contest.

BROWN                        1            1            3            x            -            5
COLGATE                      0            1            1            x            -            2

First Period – B, Zaires (Robertson, Buvinow), 5x3, 9:32. Penalties –B, 3-6; C, 3-6.

Second Period – C, Firman (McPherson, Mayer), 8:32; B, Robertson (Maclellan, Buvinow), 5x3, 10:26. Penalties – B, 2-4; C, 4-8.

Third Period – B, Farnham (Maclellan), SH, 9:14; B, Brownschidle (Hathaway), 15:36; C, Bourdon (Brisebois, Price), EA, 17:15; B, Maclellan (Zaires, Farnham), EN, 19:27. Penalties – B, 1-2; C, 2-4.


B, Mike Clemente (59:41) – 6-11-11-x – 28; C, Alex Evin (58:02) – 7-11-2-x – 20.

Pictured: Bobby Farnham '12. Photo by DSPics.net.