Dartmouth Forces Tie with Late Goal After Brown's Fierce Comeback

Dartmouth Forces Tie with Late Goal After Brown's Fierce Comeback

PROVIDENCE, RI - In front of a loud and boisterous crowd, the Brown men's hockey team (7-13-3, 5-8-3) fought back from a 4-2 deficit to take a 5-4 lead with 1:35 remaining, but Dartmouth (6-16-1, 4-11-1) tied the game at 5-5 with 28 seconds remaining and its own net vacant, as the two teams played to a tie on Saturday afternoon at Meehan Auditorium. Senior Aaron Volpatti (Revelstoke, BC) had a hand in four of the Bears' five goals, while scoring a pair. The Bears also struck for a season-high three power play goals.

Trailing, 4-2, and with less than seven minutes to go, Volpatti's second goal of the game ignited the Bears' comeback, as freshman Chris Zaires (Aberdeen, NJ) tied the game just 20 seconds after Volpatti's goal and then sophomore Jeff Buvinow (Turnersville, NJ) gave Brown a 5-4 lead just four minutes after that. However, the Big Green would pull their goalie with 46 seconds remaining and then just 18 seconds later, Adam Estoclet's second of the day forced the extra period.

Drawing energy from the large contingent of students, which was present from the opening faceoff, the Bears came out flying from the opening shift. After back-to-back penalties on the Big Green in the game's opening 2:30, Brown capitalized on its opportunity, grabbing a 1-0 lead just nine seconds into a two-man advantage. Buvinow started things from the left half-wall, passing up to sophomore Jack Maclellan (Calgary, ALB) at the center of the blueline. Maclellan sent the puck over to Volpatti on his right and the senior captain beat James Mello to the near side with a wrister from the top of the right faceoff circle.           

Dartmouth responded with a power play goal of its own less than seven minutes later to tie the score at 1-1. After collecting the puck from Doug Jones, Scott Fleming fired a shot from the edge of the crease that trickled into the net off Mike Clemente's (Great Falls, VA) right leg after the sophomore made the initial save.

Before the end of the period, however, another power play goal gave Brown a 2-1 lead after the first 20 minutes. After Mello saved Volpatti's shot from the right side, the Dartmouth goalie couldn't corral the rebound, and with a scrum in front, senior Devin Timberlake (Port Alberni, BC) was able to push the puck over the goal-line for his fourth goal of the year.

The Big Green tied things up for a second time just 2:37 into the second period, scoring the game's first even-strength goal, which was scored in a similar fashion to the Bears' second goal. Connor Goggin had his shot from outside saved by Clemente, but the Bears failed to clear the puck. Paul Lee was in front and took a few swings at the puck, sending it past Clemente on the third try.

Dartmouth took its first lead of the day at the midway point of the second period when Adam Estoclet finished off a perfectly executed two-on-one rush with Evan Stephens.

After the high paced first period, things slowed down considerably for both teams by the start of the third. Evan Stephens made it a two-goal game at 8:08 of the third period when he worked through the Bears' defense and put a low shot around Clemente's stick.

Volpatti scored his second of the afternoon with 6:19 remaining and with Brown enjoying a four-on-three advantage to bring the Bears to within 4-3. After collecting the puck from Buvinow at the top of the right face-off circle, Volpatti beat Mello with a one-timer that knocked the water bottle off the netting and into the air.

Before PA announcer Bill Haberman even had a chance to announce the goal, Zaires tied the score at 5-5, beating Mello with a shot from the right side of the crease at 14:01. Junior Harry Zolnierczyk (Toronto, ONT) and Volpatti each assisted on the goal.

Buvinow then gave the Bears a 5-4 lead, scoring his sixth goal of the year with 1:35 remaining. Junior David Brownschidle (Lawrenceville, NJ) carried the puck into the zone and got it to Timberlake, who couldn't get a shot off. However, the puck went up to Buvinow, who was trailing the play and he lifted the puck into a partially open net for the lead.

The Big Green pulled Mello with 46 seconds remaining and Adam Estoclet sent the game into overtime with his second goal of the game, lifting the puck past Clemente stick-side with 28 seconds left.

Clemente finished with 36 saves, while Mello stopped 41 for Dartmouth. The Bears return to action next weekend when they travel to Quinnipiac and Princeton in a pair of ECAC Hockey games on Friday and Saturday.


DARTMOUTH            1            2            2            0            -            5

BROWN                    2            0            3            0            -            5


First Period - B, Volpatti (Maclellan, Buvinow), 5x3, 2:38; D, Fleming (Estoclet, Jones), PP, 9:07; B, Timberlake (Volpatti, Maclellan), PP, 11:24. Penalties - D, 4-8; B, 2-4.

Second Period - D, Lee (C. Goggin), 2:37; D, Estoclet (Stephens, Fleming), 10:28. Penalties - D, 3-6; B, 3-6.

Third Period - D, Stephens (Fleming), 8:08; B, Volpatti (Buvinow, Maclellan), 4x3, 13:41; B, Zaires (Zolnierczyk, Volpatti), 14:01; B, Buvinow (Timberlake, Brownschidle), 18:25; D, Estoclet (Stejskal, Fleming), EA, 19:32. Penalties - D, 3-6; B, 2-4.

Overtime - No Scoring. Penalties - D, 0-0; B, 0-0.


D, James Mello (64:43) - 11-15-13-2 - 41; B, Mike Clemente (65:00) - 9-14-11-2 - 36.