Bears Battle Back, Tie #18 Union, 2-2, on Fernandez's First Career Goal

Bears Battle Back, Tie #18 Union, 2-2, on Fernandez's First Career Goal

PROVIDENCE, RI - Junior Tyler Fernandez (Bloomfield, CT) picked a great time to score his first career goal, helping to lift the Brown men's hockey team (7-12-2, 5-7-2) to a 2-2 tie with #18 Union (13-7-6, 7-3-4) with the game-tying goal at 12:51 of the second period. Both teams would have chances to go ahead following the goal, but team defense would prevail in the final 32:09.

After trailing, 2-0, sophomore Jack Maclellan (Calgary, ALB) started Brown's comeback bid with his ninth goal of the season, scoring exactly two minutes after a Union penalty at 4:15. Just eight minutes later, Fernandez knocked in the rebound of a shot by junior Harry Zolnierczyk (Toronto, ONT) to knot the score at 2-2, which is how it would remain until the final whistle.

Fernandez's goal was set up when senior Scott Van der Linden (ANtigonish, NS) dumped the puck in from the left point. The puck got deflected in front of the Union net and Fernandez pounced on the rebound before lifting it into the back of the net.

Things did not start well for the Bears, who were penalized twice in the opening seven minutes of play. Just 18 seconds into the first infraction, the Dutchmen grabbed a 1-0 lead when Mike Schreiber put away a centering feed from Adam Presizniuk at the left side of the crease at 6:23.

Union added another power play marker at 16:51 when Greg Coburn ripped a shot from the inside of the left faceoff circle that beat sophomore Mike Clemente (Great Falls, VA) glove-side high.

Brown started its comeback at 4:15 of the second period, scoring exactly two minutes after a penalty on Union had expired. Senior Jordan Pietrus (Winnipeg, MAN) had his shot from the right side blocked by the defense, but the rebound popped out to sophomore Jarred Smith (Pepper Pike, OH) and Keith Kinkaid saved Smith's shot from point-blank range. However, Maclellan was at the top of the crease and got just enough on the puck to push it past Kinkaid, before falling onto his back.

Following Fernandez's game-tying goal, the Bears had a golden chance to go up 3-2, with under six minutes left. Zolnierczyk started an odd-man rush and got a shot off, which Kinkaid save. However, the shot pulled him out of position and sophomore Jeff Buvinow (Turnersville, NJ) attempted a put back, which went wide of the net, as the score remained 2-2.

Both teams had chances in the final five minutes, but shots either went wide of the net or were saved by the two goalies, as Brown headed for its second straight overtime game.

With 1:54 left in the extra period, the Bears found themselves a man down after Zolnierczyk, who collided with Kinkaid on an offensive rush, was whistled for a penalty.

Clemente helped preserve the tie when he made a right pad save with about 35 seconds left on Union's Kelly Zajac, who had a chance from the left side of the crease.

The Dutchmen pulled Kinkaid with three seconds remaining for the extra attacker, but to no avail. Set up to Clemente's left, Maclellan battled for the puck, eventually covering it and denying Union a chance for the game-winner.

Clemente finished with 31 saves, while Kinkaid made 32 for Union, as Brown held a 34-33 advantage in shots. The Bears return to action next Friday, February 5th, when they host Harvard in a 7:00 p.m. game.


#18 UNION                  2            0            0            0            -            2
BROWN                        0            2            0            0            -            2


First Period - U, Schreiber (Presizniuk, Zajac), PP, 6:23; U, Coburn (Boileau, J. Simpson), PP, 16:51. Penalties - U, 1-2; B, 4-8.
Second Period -
B, Maclellan (Smith, Pietrus), 4:14; B, Fernandez (Zolnierczyk, Van der Linden), 12:51. Penalties - U, 2-4; B, 1-2.
Third Period -
No Scoring. Penalties - U, 0-0; B, 0-0.
Overtime -
No Scoring. Penalties - U, 0-0; B, 1-2.

U, Keith Kinkaid (64:46) - 12-8-8-4 - 32; B, Mike Clemente (65:00) - 9-10-10-2 - 31.

The Bears celebrate Tyler Fernandez's game-tying goal. Photo by