Bears Drop 19-13 overtime Decision To Dartmouth

Bears Drop 19-13 overtime Decision To Dartmouth

Nov. 11, 2006

Final Stats

Hanover, New Hampshire - Dartmouth kicked a 39 yard field goal with no time left on the clock at the end of regulation, and then won the game in overtime with a fourth down touchdown, as the Big Green defeated Brown by a 19-13 margin at Memorial Field.

The Big Green's final second touchdown came following a controversial pass interference call on the Bears on fourth and long. Brown's Jose Yearwood cleanly knocked the ball down, but a late flag came from 25-yards behind the play, whistling the pass interference call.

In overtime, Dartmouth scored on its possession, but missed the extra point for a 19-13 lead. Brown's first play was a halfback option call that just missed connecting in the end zone. On fourth down from the 16 yard line, Brown's Lonnie Hill was interfered with in the end zone, but after the officials huddled, ruled the play a deflected pass and waived off the penalty call.

Following a fast-paced scoreless first quarter, Brown took the early control of the game with a long scoring drive. The Bears mounted a ball-control 88-yard drive midway through the second quarter, with junior Dereck Knight plowing his way into the end zone from one yard out on fourth and goal to give the Bears a 7-0 lead. The touchdown came with 3:21 left in the half, capping a 14-play drive that consumed 7:02.

Brown extended its lead to 10-0 following a 31-yard field goal by junior Steve Morgan with 1:03 remaining in the second quarter.

Dartmouth got back in the game early in the fourth quarter with a 74 yard scoring drive, running into the end zone from the four-yard line with 12:24 left in the game to trail, 10-7. The Big Green tied the game, 10-10, with 6:59 left in the game on a 35-yard field goal that appeared to be deflected by the Bears, but spun through the uprights.

Brown roared down the field, but couldn't put the ball in the end zone. The Bears advanced the ball down to the three-yard line before settling on a 21-yard field goal by Morgan with 1:48 left on the clock.

Bears' quarterback Joseph DiGiacomo completed 17 of 25 passes for 164 yard for the day, connecting on 4 passes Hill. Junior Paul Raymond, senior Akin Oyalowo and junior Dereck Knight caught three passes each. Oyalowo ran for a team high 55 yards.

Defensively, it was another big day for Bears' senior All-American linebacker Zak DeOssie, who made 14 tackles, including six solo stops. Junior linebacker Eric Brewer came through with 10 tackles, while senior Mike Cholipski, junior Justin Amoah and sophomore Darrell Harrison made eight tackles each.

The Bears will wrap-up the 2006 season at home next Saturday, November 18 against Columbia at Brown Stadium. All the Senior Day action starts at 12:30 p.m.