Brown Stopped By Yale, 13-3

Brown Stopped By Yale, 13-3

Nov. 8, 2008

Final Stats

Providence, RI - Brown's bid for a perfect Ivy League season was derailed by Yale, 13-3, Saturday afternoon before 9,101 at overcast Brown Stadium. With two games remaining, the 4-1 Bears remain in first place in the Ivy League, and still control their own destiny in a quest for their fourth Ivy League title.

The setback put Brown (5-3, 4-1 Ivy) in a tie with Harvard (4-1) and Penn (4-1) for first place in the Ivy League standings with two games remaining. The Bears play next Saturday at Dartmouth and return home on November 22 against Columbia. Harvard plays at Penn next Saturday, and hosts Yale in its final game, while Penn plays at Cornell on the final day of the season. Wins in their last two games would assure the Bears at least a tie for the Ivy Championship.

Brown faced the nation's top defense and couldn't get its offense moving. The three points scored by the Bears were the fewest since scoring just three points against Princeton in 2006.

"We played like the day - gloomy and dreary," said Brown head coach Phil Estes. "Our defense played exceptionally well, but our offense just couldn't get things going. We have to do a better job on offense - we made way too many mistakes."

Leading 6-3 late in the fourth quarter, Yale broke the game open with the game's only touchdown. With Brown's defense expecting the Elis to run at its own 22 yard line, Yale crossed up the Bears and quarterback Brook Hart tossed a 78-yard touchdown pass to Peter Balsam to put the game out of reach with 3:49 remaining in the game.

Bears' quarterback Michael Dougherty struggled to complete the long pass all day, but still completed 28 of 54 passes for 275 yards. Senior tight end Colin Cloherty made 7 receptions for 72 yards, while junior Buddy Farnham grabbed seven passes for 64 yards.

Brown's running game was led by senior Dereck Knight (Pawtucket, RI), who rushed for 48 yards on 12 carries.

Following a scoreless first quarter, Brown got on the scoreboard first when senior Robert Ranney booted a 39 yard field goal with 8:52 left in the second quarter to grab a 3-0 advantage. Yale answered with a 39-yard field goal by Tom Mante with 6:23 left in the half to send the game into halftime at 3-3.

The Elis grabbed a 6-3 lead midway through the third quarter when Mantre booted a 27-yard field goal, the only points of the quarter.

Brown's hard-hitting defense held Yale's All-American runningback Mike McLeod to just 63 yards on the ground, was led by senior linebacker Steve Ziogas, who made eight tackles, including six solo stops. Senior David Howard registered six total tackles for the Baers, including two tackles for a loss, while juniors David Clement and Chris Perkins made six tackles each.

The Bears also received a strong punting effort from Ranney, who punted six times for 313 yards, averaging 52.2 yards per punt.

The Bears travel to Hanover, New Hampshire for their final road game of the season on Saturday, November 15 against Dartmouth. Game time is 12:30 p.m. at Memorial Field.