Bears Fall To Quakers On Last Minute TD, 20-16

Bears Fall To Quakers On Last Minute TD, 20-16

Oct. 30, 2004

Box Score

Philadelphia, PA - For 59 minutes it looked as though Brown would upset Penn and break the Quakers 18-game Ivy League winning streak. But Penn rallied for the winning score with 50 seconds remaining to defeat the Bears by a 20-16 score at Franklin Field.

The match-up pitted the top two defensive teams in the Ivy League with Brown being ranked number one (274 yards per game) and Penn second at 297 yards per game. While the game started out as an offensive slugfest, it soon settled down into a defensive battle.

Brown's offense took early control of the game, scoring on its first possession. Sophomore quarterback Anthony Vita connected on a 30-yard pass play to junior Jarrett Schreck, who made a diving catch in the end zone after beating Penn's All-Ivy defender Davol Thompson, giving the Bears a 7-0 lead just 2:37 into the game. Junior Nick Hartigan accounted for 39 of the 69 yards of the drive on the ground for the Bears.

Penn came right back and cut the Bears lead to 7-6, scoring with 9:57 remaining in the first quarter.

The Bears extended their lead when freshman kicker Steve Morgan booted his eighth field goal of the season, connecting on a 40-yard kick with 6:39 left in the quarter, to give the Bears a 10-6 advantage.

Following a Penn touchdown, Morgan tied the game at the half, 13-13, when he connected on a 31-yard field goal with 3:17 left in the half.

Brown took the lead early in the second half following a big play by its defense. Junior Jamie Gasparella picked off a pass and returned it 28 yards to the Quakers 23 yard line. Morgan gave Brown the lead, 16-13, when he booted a 35-yard field goal.

The Bears failed to capitalize on another Gasaparella interception later in the third quarter, when Hartigan fumbled at the Quakers one-yard line after a 59-yard drive.

Brown controlled the play for most of the fourth quarter, holding the ball for 11:07. But the Bears were unable to score, and it was Penn who mounted a last minute comeback to extend its streak to 19-straight Ivy victories.

Hartigan kept the Bears in the game all day with a magnificent performance on the ground, rushing for a game high 176 yards on 39 carries.

Vita connected on 11 of 25 passes for 140 yards, but left the game in the fourth quarter when he suffered a wrist injury. He was replaced by sophomore Joe DiGiacomo, who completed 5 of 8 passes for 38 yards.

Schreck led the Brown receivers with 5 catches for 88 yards, while freshman Paul Raymond made 4 receptions for 35 yards.

Sophomore Zak DeOssie helped the Brown defense hold the Quakers to just 75 yards rushing, making a game high 16 tackles, including two for a loss of 10 yards and a quarterback sack. Senior Craig Young chipped in with 7 tackles, while Gasparella made 6 tackles to go along with his two interceptions. Senior Dan Doublin also picked off a pass for the Bears and returned it 28 yards.

The Bears return home next Saturday for an Ivy League showdown with Yale. Game is 12:35 p.m. at Brown Stadium.