Bears Earn 27-20 Overtime Win Over Fordham

Bears Earn 27-20 Overtime Win Over Fordham

Oct. 9, 2004

Box Score

Bronx, NY - Junior Nick Hartigan rushed for three touchdowns, including a one-yard scoring run in overtime, to lift Brown to its first overtime win ever, a 27-20 victory over Fordham at Jack Coffey Field.

Hartigan finished the game with 125 yards on 42 carries, going over the 100-yard mark for the 11th time in his career.

The Bears' took advantage of an early Fordham turnover when senior Anjel Gutierrez picked off a pass on the Rams' first possession, giving Brown the ball at the Fordham 16-yard line. Sophomore quarterback Joe DiGiacomo completed a 13-yard pass play to junior Jarrett Schreck, advancing the ball to the Fordham four-yard line. Two plays later, Hartigan barreled into the end zone from two yards out to give Brown an early 7-0 lead.

The rest of the first half belonged to Fordham, with the Rams scoring the next 10 points to grab a 10-7 lead at halftime, holding Hartigan to just 48 first half yards.

Brown came out with a determined look in the second half. Junior Carson Brennan took the opening kickoff 55 yards to the Rams' 27-yard line. Hartigan's 20-yard run brought the ball to the Fordham six. Four plays later, freshman Steve Morgan booted a 21-yard field goal to tie the score, 10-10.

The Bears were stunned by a 97-yard kickoff return on the ensuing kickoff to fall behind by a 17-10 margin.

Coach Phil Estes' team didn't stay down for long. Following a Fordham punt, DiGiacomo connected on a 54-yard pass play to junior fullback Carson Brennan, advancing the ball to the Fordham 15-yard line. Hartigan exploded into the end zone from 15 yards out to tie the game, 17-17, with 4:09 left in the third quarter.

Morgan gave Brown a 20-17 lead when he booted a 45-yard field goal, the longest of his career, with just 6:00 remaining in the game. A late Fordham field goal sent the game into overtime.

In overtime, Fordham won the toss and elected to defend. Starting at the 25-yard line, DiGiacomo quickly connected on a 20-yard pass play to Brennan, who made a spectacular one-handed grab at the Rams' five yard line. Hartigan bulled his way to the one-yard line, and then gave Brown the lead, 27-20, with a one-yard plunge.

Brown's defense shut down the Rams on their overtime possession. With Fordham starting at the 25-yard line, the Bears defense stiffened and forced a fourth and seven situation for the Rams. Gutierrez blitzed from the outside, sacking the Fordham quarterback, setting off a wild celebration for the Bears' first-ever overtime win.

Senior Craig Young led the Bears' defense with 11 tackles, while sophomore Zak DeOssie had 8 tackles, including 2 for a loss of five yards. Gutierrez finished the game with five tackles and 3.5 tackles for a loss, including the big game-ending quarterback sack.