Football Drops 31-13 Decision to Columbia in Season Finale

Football Drops 31-13 Decision to Columbia in Season Finale

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Freshman Livingstone Harriott scored on an eight-yard rush to bring Brown within 21-13 of Columbia late in the third quarter, but the Lions held on for a 31-13 win on Saturday afternoon at Brown Stadium in the season finale for both teams.

After falling behind 14-3 early in the second quarter, the host Bears (4-6, 3-4 Ivy) pulled within one possession on two occasions, but the visiting Lions (3-7, 2-5 Ivy) responded to each Brown rally to pull out the win.

Sophomore quarterback Nicholas Duncan (St. Louis, MO) played the second half for the Bears, completing 7-of-16 passes for 62 yards and rushing seven times for 52 yards.

Senior running back Johnny Pena (Tucson, Ariz.) rushed 12 times for 55 yards, senior wide receiver Troy Doles (Saratoga, Calif.) caught five passes for 40 yards, and sophomore tight end Anton Casey (Bethesda, Md.) grabbed four passes for 51 yards.

In their final collegiate games, seniors Richard Jarvis (Watertown, MA), Max Tylki (Wethersfield, CT), and William Twyman (Sudbury, MA) each registered a sack. Jarvis finished the game with eight tackles, 2.5 for loss, and two quarterback hurries, Tylki posted seven tackles, 3.5 for loss, and Twyman made six tackles with an interception. Senior Sam Russell (Newton, MA) led the Bears with 10 tackles.

Columbia running back Alan Watson led all ball carriers with 158 rushing yards and a touchdown on 20 carries. Quarterback Anders Hill completed 13-of-20 passes for 222 yards and two touchdowns, and receiver Josh Wainwright totaled five receptions for 150 yards and two scores.

Brown had a golden opportunity for points following a blocked field goal by sophomore Ike Marchie (Belleville, MI), taking over at the Columbia two-yard line. The Bears offense sputtered, but was bailed out by a 42-yard field goal by junior Ben Rosenblatt (Newton Center, MA) with 11:12 left in the opening quarter, putting the Bears ahead, 3-0.

The Lions came roaring back on their next possession, driving 80 yards in 14 plays, capped off by a one-yard touchdown run by Tanner Thomas with 4:23 left in the quarter for a 7-3 lead.

Columbia extended its lead to 14-3 on a 46-yard pass play with Hill connecting with Wainwright for the first time with 9:27 remaining in the half.

Rosenblatt drew the Bears a little closer with a 36-yard field goal three minutes later to pull the Bears to within 14-6 of the Lions.

Wainwright caught his second touchdown pass of the game, this time a 16-yard strike from Hill with 1:36 left in the half to give the Lions a 21-6 advantage at intermission.

Bears' starting quarterback Thomas Linta (Bradford, CT) – who completed 10-of-19 passes for 64 yards in the first half – was unable to return in the second half due to injury and was replaced by Duncan, who immediately ignited the Bears offense.

Duncan used his arm and legs to drive the Bears 61 yards for a touchdown, capped off by an eight-yard scoring run by Harriott (Central Islip, NY) with 2:16 remaining in the third quarter to cut Columbia's lead to 21-13. Duncan ran for 56 yards in the quarter.

Columbia extended its edge to 24-13 on a 31-yard field goal by Oren Milstein with 6:02 left on the clock.

The Lions sealed the win with 2:33 remaining as Watson scored a touchdown on a 69-yard run to make it 31-13.

Brown honored its 23 seniors prior to the game in their final contest at Brown Stadium.