Alex Jette’s Three Touchdowns Lead Brown Over Cornell, 28-21, In Double Overtime

Alex Jette’s Three Touchdowns Lead Brown Over Cornell, 28-21, In Double Overtime

Providence, R.I. – Senior All-Ivy wide receiver Alexander Jette (North Attleboro, MA) scored three touchdowns and senior Johnny Pena (Tucson, AZ) scored the game-winning touchdown in the second overtime period with a one-yard run to lead Brown (2-4, 1-2 Ivy) to a 28-21 double overtime win over Cornell (3-3, 1-2 Ivy) in an Ivy League match-up at Brown Stadium.

Cornell scored first in overtime on a 13-yard pass from Dalton Banks to Marshall Deutz to take a 21-14 lead.

The Bears evened the game, 21-21, on a two-yard pass from junior quarterback Thomas Linta (Bradford, CT) to Jette on a fourth down play. 

Brown got the ball first in the second overtime and needed four plays to score, with Pena plowing into the end zone from one yard out for a 28-21 Bears' lead. Pena had 12 rushing yards in the series.

Cornell failed on its opportunity to score, falling two yards short of a first down at the Bears six-yard line on a fourth down play.

Jette was the Bears' player of the game with touchdown receptions of 18 and two yards and a 79-yard punt return for a touchdown.  He made nine receptions overall for 111 yards.

Linta completed 12 of 28 passes for 154 yards and two touchdowns.  Pena led all rushers with 96 yards, while freshman Livingstone Harriott (Central Islip, NY) added 77 yards on the ground for the Bears.

Banks posted a solid game for the Big Red with 21-of-37 passing for 201 yards and three touchdowns.  Marshall also had a big day with seven catches for 70 yards.

Defensively, Bears' senior inside linebacker William Twyman (Sudbury, MA) led all players with a game-high 17 tackles, including three tackles for a loss. Senior defensive end Richard Jarvis (Watertown, MA) made 10 tackles, including two for a loss of nine yards.

Junior defensive back Terrell Smith (Newtown Square, PA) had an all-around day for the Bears with an interception and 115 kick-off returns yards on three returns.

With rain pounding the Brown Stadium turf for the opening 30 minutes, often at a torrential pace, scoring was at a premium.

The Bears went up and down the field and had several opportunities in the opening 29 minutes, but a bad snap on a field goal attempt and two additional field goal misses, kept them off the scoreboard.

With 5:03 left in the half, Isaiah Thompkins (Middletown, CT) intercepted a Cornell pass to give Brown possession at the Big Red 24-yard line. But the Bears' failed to capitalize on the turnover and turned the ball over on downs.

That's when Jette stepped in, electrifying the crowd with a 79-yard punt return for a touchdown, hurdling defenders along the way and getting one final block from senior Brandon Davenport (Murfreesboro, TN) to spring him into the end zone, giving the Bears a 7-0 lead with 45 seconds left in the half.  The 79-yard return by Jette is the seventh longest punt return in Brown football history.

Once the rain let up, Brown extended its lead to 14-0 on its first possession of the second half when Linta connected on an 18-yard touchdown pass to Jette with 13:20 left in the third quarter.

The Big Red answered on its next possession, driving 85 yards in 10 plays, capped off by a 9-yard scoring pass from Banks to Matt Sullivan with 9:15 left in the third quarter.

Cornell got a big break when linebacker Kurt Frimel took the ball from the Bears' ball carrier at its own 21-yard line and returned it to the Brown eight-yard line.  Two plays later, Banks connected on a five-yard TD pass to Ben Rogers to tie the game, 14-14, late in the third quarter.

Senior Jordan Ferguson (Ladera Heights, CA) came up with a game-saving play with 3:30 remaining in the game when he blocked a Cornell 33-yard field goal attempt that would have given the Big Red the lead.

The Bears travel south to face the Penn Quakers on Saturday, October 29 in Philadelphia, Pa.  All the action starts at 1:00 pm at Franklin Field.