Newhall-Caballero Leads Brown to 35-21 Win over URI For Governor’s Cup

Newhall-Caballero Leads Brown to 35-21 Win over URI For Governor’s Cup

Final Stats


Providence, Rhode Island – Brown senior quarterback Kyle Newhall-Caballero passed for two touchdowns and ran for two more to lead Brown to a 35-21 victory over Rhode Island for the Governor's Cup before a crowd of 10,231 in the second ever night game at Brown Stadium. Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee, Brown Class of 1975, was on hand and presented the Governor's Cup to head coach Phil Estes and the Brown team at the completion of the game.


"Kyle (Newhall-Caballero) was in sync with our offense and we capitalized on five Rhode Island turnovers," said Brown head coach Phil Estes.  "What was our demise a week ago vs. Harvard (turnovers) became a dagger for URI tonight."


Newhall-Caballero completed 17 of 29 passes for 203 yards, throwing touchdown passes of 27 and 17 yards. Brown sophomore tailback John Spooney ran for a career high 97 yards on 19 carries to lead the Bears rushing attack.


"It feels great to be back in the lineup against URI," said Newhall-Caballero, who broke his wrist on the last play against Rhode Island a year ago.  When asked how his wrist feels, Newhall-Caballero replied, "it's a little soar, but it's not broken."


Brown's defense forced five URI turnovers, intercepting three passes and recovering two fumbles. Brown outside linebacker Dan Smithwick made seven tackles, including six solo hits, intercepted a pass and recovered a fumble.  Senior linebacker Matt O'Donnell had eight tackles and recovered a fumble.


Quarterback Steve Probst was the offensive star for the Rams, running for 180 yards on 11 carries, and scoring two touchdowns, while passing for 179 yards.


The URI ground game got the best of the Bears in the early going when Probst ran 71 yards for a touchdown, giving Rhode Island a 7-0 advantage with 10:51 left in the first quarter.


Brown answered immediately when Newhall-Caballero connected on a 27-yard pass play to junior tailback Mark Kachmer, who made a diving catch in the end zone to tie the score, 7-7, at the 7:14 mark of the quarter.


The Bears took the lead, 14-7, early in the second quarter when Newhall-Caballero tossed a 17-yard touchdown pass to senior Alex Tounkara-Kone.  The touchdown was set up by a fumble recovery by O'Donnell.


Smithwick recovered a fumbled URI punt and Brown was back in business. Three plays later, Newhall-Caballero ran into the end zone from two yards out to lift the Bears to a 21-7 advantage with 10:17 remaining before intermission.


Probst brought the Rams closer, 21-14, when he scored on another big run, this time a 61-yard scamper from scrimmage early in the third quarter.


Newhall-Caballero extended Brown's lead to 28-14 when he scored again on a two-yard run, capping a 76-yard scoring drive with 2:45 left in the third quarter.


Brown put the game out of reach when Kachmer dove into the end zone from two yards out to give the Bears a 35-14 lead with 9:37 left in the game.


The Bears will be back in action again next Saturday, October 8, hosting Holy Cross.  Game time is 12:30 p.m. at Brown Stadium.