Brown Sinks Navy, 97-92

Brown Sinks Navy, 97-92

Nov. 30, 2002

Junior forward Patrick Powers exploded for a career high 32 points, including three in overtime, to lead Brown to its first win of the season, a 97-92 overtime victory over Navy.

Brown faced the Midshipmen without senior guard Earl Hunt, its top scorer and the second leading scorer in Brown history, who is sidelined indefinitely with a thigh injury. Hunt, the Ivy League's top scorer for the last two years, had never missed a game during his Brown career, making 85 consecutive starts for the Bears.

"Pat Powers has always had the ability to score," said Brown coach Glen Miller. "With Earl out of the lineup, we were given the opportunity to give him more playing time. He really stepped-up offensively."

With Hunt out of the lineup, the Bears needed someone to step up and fill the scoring void. It turned out to be Powers, Hunt's replacement at guard, who exploded for 16 first half points as Brown built a 45-27 lead at intermission. Powers' first half aerial explosion included four dunks, 5 of 6 shooting from the field, and 2 of 2 shooting from three point range in the half.

Navy rallied from the 45-27 halftime deficit to grab its first lead of the game, 77-75, on a 12 foot jumper by senior guard Jason Jeanpierre with 5:10 remaining in the game. The outcome looked bleak for the Bears when the Midshipmen built a five-point advantage, 83-78, with 1:09 remaining on a layup by Jeanpierre.

Brown responded with a long three-point basket by Powers with 57 seconds remaining and a layup by sophomore Jason Forte with 35 seconds left to send the game into overtime, 83-83.

With the score tied, 90-90, Forte gave Brown the lead for good, 93-92, when he converted one of two free throws. Freshman Luke Ruscoe came up with a big steal with 15.9 seconds remaining, and converted two free throws with 6.9 seconds remaining to lift the Bears to a 95-92 lead. Forte provided the exclamation point on the vistory by converting two free throws with 1.2 seconds left, following a steal.

In the first half, Powers led a Brown surge that lifted the Bears from a 23-17 lead with 8:10 remaining to a 30-20 advantage with 5:46 left on a layup by junior Mike Martin. Powers netted five points in the spurt. The Bears continued with a 10-3 spurt to take a 40-23 lead with 3:00 remaining in the half on a Powers three-point jumper.

Powers, whose previous career high was 18 points against Harvard last year, scored 32 points on 12-16 shooting from the field, including 4 of 6 shooting from three-point range. Forte netted 22 points for the Bears, dishing out a season high 7 assists. Also scoring in double figures for the Bears was Martin with 12 points and senior Alai Nuualiitia with 11 points.

Jeanpierre scored 19 of his team high 27 points in the second half to lead the Navy surge. Senior center Francis Ebong scored 21 points and Quintrell McCreary added 19 points for the Midshipmen, who fell to 2-2 on the season.

The Bears return to action for their first home game of the season tomorrow evening against Ohio University at the Pizzitola Sports Center, beginning at 7:00 p.m.