Dartmouth Rallies For 58-53 Win Over Brown

Dartmouth Rallies For 58-53 Win Over Brown

Hanover, NH - Brown was held without a field goal in the game's final 7:08, as Dartmouth outscored the Bears by a 15-3 margin to earn its first Ivy win of the season, 58-53, over the Bears at Leede Arena.  The win gives the Big Green a 5-21 overall record, 1-9 in the Ivy League, while Brown falls to 7-20, 1-9 in league play.


Brown held a 50-43 lead following a trey by junior guard Stephen Albrecht at the 7:08 mark.  Dartmouth came storming back and tied the game, 51-51, on a trey by junior RJ Griffin with 3:44 remaining, and took the lead for good, 53-51, on two free throws by Griffin with just 1:45 left on the clock.


Junior Matt Sullivan and sophomore Sean McGonagill scored 14 points each to lead the Bears.  Sullivan connected on 4 of 4 field goals, including 3 of 3 from behind the three-point arc. McGonagill had six assists to go with his 14 points, while Albrecht chipped in with 11 points for Brown.


The Bears were buoyed by the return of junior forward Andrew McCarthy, who missed Friday night's game against Harvard with back spasms. McCarthy came off the bench to score six points and pull down five rebounds.


Sophomore Tyler Melville led the Big Green with 15 points.  Griffin connected on 4 of 5 field goals in scoring 13 points, while John Golden netted 10 points.  Jvonte Brooks pulled down 11 rebounds to help the Big Green to a 32-22 rebounding edge over the Bears.


Brown had the better of play for most of the first half and led by as many as six points, 17-11, on a trey by McGonagill with 7:06 left in the half. The Big Green chipped away and took the lead at the half on a trey by Griffin with just two seconds left on the clock.


The Bears opened the second half with a 12-2 run in the first four minutes to grab a 36-28 advantage following a lay-up by Dockery Walker.


With Brown holding a 44-36 lead, Dartmouth edged back into the game with a 7-0 spurt to trail, 44-43, on a lay-up by Melville with 8:59 left in the game.  But three free throws by Sullivan and a trey by Albrecht quickly put the Bears back up by seven points, 50-43.


A determined Big Green squad came back once again and tied the score, 51-51, following a trey by Griffin with 3:44 left in the game.


Brown returns to the Pizzitola Sports Center for its final home weekend of the season, hosting Cornell on Friday, February 24 at 7:00 p.m., and Columbia on Saturday, February 25 at 6:00 p.m. Senior Night Festivities for Saturday's game against Columbia will begin at 5:50 p.m.