McGonagill’s 27 Points Rallies Brown To 90-80 Win Over Central Connecticut

McGonagill’s 27 Points Rallies Brown To 90-80 Win Over Central Connecticut

Providence, RI –  Sophomore guard Sean McGonagill scored 25 of his 27 points in the second half as Brown utilized a 30-5 second half run to rally from a six point halftime deficit and earn a 90-80 victory over Central Connecticut at the Pizzitola Sports Center. The Bears scored 61 second half points to pull away from the Blue Devils.


The win gives the Bears a 5-7 overall record heading into final exams, while Central Connecticut falls to 5-4 overall.


"I'm thrilled with our team effort," said Brown head coach Jesse Agel.  "I'm so happy that the win was the end result for all the hard work our players have put in."


The game was ultimately won at the three-point arc where Brown sizzled, connecting on 14 of 21 treys (67-percent), with senior guard Jean Harris hitting 4 of 5 treys, and junior guard Stephen Albrecht hitting 4 of 6 treys. The Blue Devils also excelled from behind the three-point arc, converting 14 of 28 treys (48-percent).


McGonagill narrowly missed a triple-double for the Bears, adding a career high 11 assists and seven rebounds to go with his team high 27 points. He connected on 6 of 12 field goals, including 3 of 6 treys, and 12 of 14 free throws.


Harris and Albrecht netted 17 points each, with Albrecht shooting 6 of 10 from the field, and Harris hitting 6 of 8 field goals. Bears' junior forward Andrew McCarthy added 10 points and pulled down eight rebounds, while sophomore forward Dockery Walker netted nine points and grabbed seven rebounds.


Central Connecticut had the top two scorers of the game, with senior forward Ken Horton registering a double-double, scoring 30 points on 5 of 11 shooting from behind the three-point arc, and hauling-in 15 rebounds. Freshman guard Kyle Vinales also had a big game with 28 points, while hitting 6 of 12 treys.


The Bears trailed by six points at the half, 35-29, after falling behind by as many as 12 points early in the half. Albrecht single-handedly kept the Bears in the game by scoring 13 first half points, hitting 5 of 6 field goals, including 3 of 3 from behind the 3-point arc.


Trailing 44-35 with 16:33 remaining, Brown rallied to take its first lead, 45-44, following a trey by junior Matt Sullivan with 13:42 left, and extended its lead to three points, 47-44, on a lay-up by Andrew McCarthy with 13:06 left to play.


The Bears completed a 30-5 spurt and extended their lead to 16 points, 65-49, on trey by senior John Harris with 7:23 left in the game.


Following a 13-day break for final exams, Brown returns to the hardwood again on Friday, December 23 to host Maine at the Pizzitola Sports Center.  Fans purchasing a ticket to the game will also get one ticket free.  Tip-off is set for 2:00 p.m.