Bears Split With Dartmouth in First of Two Doubleheaders

Bears Split With Dartmouth in First of Two Doubleheaders

April 15, 2006

Box Score

Providence, RI - The Brown baseball team split the first of two doubleheaders with Dartmouth on Saturday at Aldrich Field. The Bears topped the Big Green 8-2 in the first game before Dartmouth won the pitchers dual in game two, 3-1. Brown out-hit the Big Green 7-3 in the night cap but two runs off sacrifice flies proved to be the difference. Junior Bryan Tews picked up the win on the mound in game one, allowing just three singles and no walks. In game one at Yale, the Bulldogs defeated Harvard, which Brown remains tied for first with in the league, pending the outcome of game two.

Brown scored four runs, two unearned in the opening inning of game one. Senior Paul Christian hit a lead-off homerun to left, his sixth of the season, to get the Bears off to a great start. Junior Eric Larson then ripped a stand-up double down the leftfield line. Junior Devin Thomas sent one past the third baseman on the next play, scoring Larson. Dartmouth's defense unraveled on the next two plays, allowing two more runs to score off errors by the first baseman and shortstop.

Senior Danny Hughes gave Brown a 6-0 lead with a two-run homer to rightfield in the third inning and a single by Thomas in the fourth, pushing the lead out to seven.

On the mound, Tews was brilliant through the first four innings, his only glitch a hit batsman in the second. In the top of the fifth, Dartmouth finally managed to crack Tews with a single through the right side however. Brown went on to commit back-to-back fielding errors, allowing one run to score. Tews got Dartmouth to hit into a double play on the next play but the Big Green got one more across the plate to get to within five, 7-2.

Brown added one more run off an error in the sixth inning to help seal the 8-2 victory. Tews earned his third victory of the season on the mound, pitching all seven innings.

At the plate, Christian lead Brown with a 3-4 performance, including his lead-off homerun and a double. Thomas also went 3-4 with two runs scored and two runs driven in. Five others added hits for Brown, as it totaled 11 in the game to the Big Green's three.

In game two, Dartmouth jumped out on top early getting a run in the first and another in the fourth. Both pitchers, senior Shaun McNamara for Brown and Josh Faiola for Dartmouth, were solid as the first seven innings saw just six hits combined.

McNamara cruised through four straight hitless innings but Brown struggled against Faiola, failing to get anything going in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings.

A single by sophomore Ryan Murphy finally got a runner on base in the eighth inning but the Bears didn't get Murphy past second, leaving them with one final chance in the ninth.

The Big Green made the Brown comeback one step harder with a run off a sacrifice fly in the top of the ninth but that didn't seem to deter Brown as Thomas ripped a double into the gap in left center with one out in the ninth. Sophomore Jeff Dietz then crushed the ball down the line in leftfield to score Thomas. The Bears rally quickly ended however as Faiola got freshman Rob Papenhause to ground into a game-ending double play.

McNamara took the loss on the mound, pitching 8.1 innings. He allowed just three hits and struck out eight, tying his season-high. Dietz led Brown with two hits in the night cap. Christian, Hughes, Thomas, and Murphy each added one hit as well.

Brown will face Dartmouth again tomorrow at noon for another doubleheader