Bears Battle to Doubleheader Split at Penn

Bears Battle to Doubleheader Split at Penn

Philadelphia, Pa. – Playing two days later due to inclement weather in the Philly area on Saturday, the Brown baseball team split a two-game set with Penn on Monday afternoon. Junior Heath Mayo (Whitehouse, Texas) earned a compete game victory in game one as the Bears' offense tallied double-digits runs in the 12-2 victory. The Quakers fought back in game two, tallying two runs in the bottom of the eighth inning with the score tied to take a 7-5 win.

The Brown (4-16, 2-2) offense came alive in game one, plating 10 runs in the fourth inning alone to take a commanding lead. Senior Mike DiBiase (Weston, Mass.) led the offensive charge going 2-for-4 with a home run, two runs and two RBI, while Mayo scattered seven hits, allowing just two runs and striking out six.

Penn (11-10, 3-1) took an early 2-0 lead in the first inning of game two but Brown crossed three of their own in the third and two in the fourth. The Quakers were able to tie the game at five in the sixth before getting two in the bottom of the eighth inning to salvage a split. 

Sophomore Matt DeRenzi (Mendham, N.J.) got the scoring started for the Bears in game one with an RBI single. Second-year second baseman J.J. Franco (New York, N.Y.) then worked a walk with bases loaded, while junior John Sheridan (Palo Alto, Calif.) delivered an infield single to make it a 3-0 Brown lead.

Senior captain Graham Tyler (Cranston, R.I.) delivered a three-run double a batter later, while DiBiase followed with an RBI single.

The Bears got their eighth run of the frame on a wild pitch before sophomore catcher Wes Van Boom (Trabuco Canyon, Calif.) belted an RBI double and rookie Nick Fornaca (San Diego, Calif.) hit an RBI single to push Brown's run total to 10 in the fourth inning.

The Quaker bats began to heat up toward the end of the game as they plated two runs in the seventh. Penn kept swinging to start the second, scoring two in the first stanza.

Brown took the lead back in the top of the third as Tyler delivered a three-run triple to left field.

DeRenzi added two more runs for the Bears with a single up the middle in the fourth inning for a 5-3 Bruno lead, but that was all the runs Brown would get in game two.

After tying the game in the sixth, Penn leadoff hitter Brandon Engelhardt broke the deadlock with a two-RBI single and eventual 7-5 win.

Five Brown players tallied two hits in the game but the Penn bullpen posted 5.2 scoreless innings to quell any Bruno comeback.

Brown returns to Murray Stadium for just the second time this season on Wednesday, April 4, with a doubleheader versus Siena at 2 p.m.