Aug. 22, 2002
Farewell Marvel Gym!
Brown University's Marvel Gymnasium, a landmark on the East Side of Providence since 1927, is entering its final days with the start of demolition of the towering building on Elmgrove Avenue. Located across the street from Brown Stadium, Marvel Gymnasium is being replaced by athletics playing fields for intramurals and rugby.
Full demolition began today and will be done in stages, starting with the back of the building. The project is expected to last for another month.
Marvel Gymnasium, named after Brown's long-time athletic Director "Doc" Marvel, has been closed since the Spring of 1989 when the Brown Athletic department moved to the Pizzitola Sports Center. Marvel Gym was the headquarters of Brown Athletics with administrative and coaching offices, and was the home of Brown basketball, volleyball, wrestling and gymnastics. It's final event was held on March 4, 1989 when Brown defeated Columbia in women's basketball.
Some of the all-time greats of college basketball made their way through the hallowed Marvel Gymnasium court, which was framed above with a trademark banked-track. Among the Brown standouts to hone their skills at Marvel are Bears' all-time career scorer Arnie Berman '72, three-time first team All-Ivy Mike Cingiser '62, and Ivy League Players of the Year, Peter Moss '80 and Jim Turner '86. Marvel fans also flocked to see visiting legends including former Holy Cross guard Bob Cousy, and Bill Bradley, Princeton's all-time career scorer.
Marvel has been closed since 1989 and has been used as a facilities storage area for the university. One of Marvel's most distinctive features, the cupola and tower with its gold leaf dome and huge Aldrich Field clocks, will be carefully removed and stored.