Recruiting for Brown University
Enrolled student-athletes recruiting activity
contacts: Off-campus, in person recruiting contacts that are
unavoidable incidental contacts between enrolled student-athletes
(or other enrolled students) and a prospect are permissible if such
contacts do not occur at the discretion of a coaching staff
contacts: It is permissible for an enrolled student-athlete
to receive telephone calls made at the expense of a prospect
subsequent to July 1 following the completion of the prospect's
junior year in high school. But telephone calls made by an enrolled
student (excluding student-athletes) pursuant to an institution's
regular admissions program directed at all prospective students
shall be permissible.
Visits: A student-athlete may act as student hosts during a
prospect's official visit to the institution's campus.
- Unofficial Visits: Prospects may stay in an enrolled student-athlete's dormitory room, provided the prospect pays the regular institutional rate for such lodging.
- An institution may not provide a student-athlete with expenses
or transportation to recruit a prospect. The institution may only
provide those expenses specified as permissible when a
student-athlete serves as a student host.
- Student-athletes can not make or participate in telephone calls
to prospects at the direction of any coaching staff member.
- A student-athlete serving, as a host may not be provided an
automobile by the institution or representative of its athlete
interests for use by the host or the prospects during prospect's
official visit to campus.
- A student host must be enrolled in the member institution being visited by the prospect. A nonqualifier may not serve as a student host during his or her first academic year of residence.