All student-athletes must maintain certain standards of academic progress to be eligible to compete. It is your responsibility to keep track of your athletic eligibility and make sure you are eligible. If you have any questions about your athletic eligibility contact Joan Taylor or Bob Kenneally immediately.
All student-athletes must fill the following criteria to be eligible to compete:
- A student-athlete must be admitted as a regular student seeking a degree according to the published entrance requirements of Brown University and must meet the NCAA minimum requirements
- A student-athlete must be in good academic standing according to the standards of Brown University
- A student-athlete must be enrolled in at least a minimum full-time program (at Brown this means a student must always be enrolled in at least three classes) and maintain satisfactory progress (see below) toward a baccalaureate degree.
In addition, Brown student-athletes must satisfy the following requirements for academic progress to be eligible to compete:
- Complete 24 semester hours of credit (6 courses) prior to the start of the second year of enrollment. A student-athlete who does not meet this requirement by the start of the second year may become eligible at the beginning of the next academic term by successfully completing 24-semester hours during the previous two semesters. In baseball, a student-athlete who fails to meet the 24-hour requirement by the second year of enrollment shall not be eligible during the remainder of the academic year.
- Satisfactorily complete six-semester hours of credit (2 courses) during the preceding regular academic term to be eligible the following semester.
- A student-athlete who is a member of the football team must complete at least nine-semester hours (3 courses) during the fall term or will not be eligible to compete in the first four contests in the following season. There is a one-time exception under specific criteria.
- A student-athlete who is entering his/her third (3rd) year of collegiate enrollment must have completed successfully at least 40% of the course requirements in a specific degree program. A student-athlete who is entering his/her fourth (4th) year of collegiate enrollment must have completed at least 60% of the course requirements in a specific degree program. A student-athlete entering his/her fifth (5th) year of collegiate enrollment must have completed at least 80% of the course requirements in a specific degree program.
- Please note that these are the NCAA’s minimum eligibility requirements and Brown’s specific requirements may differ.